• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Xmas trip to colorado in a KA-90

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I forgot to add, go ahead and reserve a hangar for the night before you depart, so that the plane will thaw out before you leave.

Good luck with slots and hangar. I hope you have a speed dialer. I wouldn't go in and stay unless I had an iron clad hangar lined up. The slots are a mess because you are competing against the fractionals who know how to monopolize in artform. If they insist, then you should drop them and then head for Boulder or Centennial. Better yet, just go there anyway. Tell the boss how much hotels in the mountains are and he should see it your way.

Grand Junction

I suggest that you fly into Grand Junction. Big runway and better weather. Rent a car and drive. You will be driving opposite to the heavy traffic and not have to deal with the Tunnel and if its closed, Loveland Pass. During the winter the highway can be closed for hours because of traffic and accidents. Very heavy traffic to and from Denver. Its the same amount of time for the drive without the mountainous issues.

There are plenty of hotels in Glenwood Springs with a great hot springs pool open year round and several area attractions to boot. Easy drive to Aspen for the skiing. You could further miss the crowds and ski at Sun Light and not drive very far. Great for the beginner level skier. After a great day on the slopes, hit the Hot Springs and relax with your favorite beverage. Snow on your nose and your body sitting in 104 degree (F) water for the muscles. Make your reservations soon!!

It works for me. You will saving your boss a ton of money compared to landing in Aspen, Eagle or Rifle. I'm not sure if you need a reservation for Grand Junction.

ciao

Thanx for the help. I used to live in aspen before i started flying so I know the area, drive times etc. I think im gonna go for rifle or eagle. I completely forgot bout the hangar space issue...gonna have to work on that one. Thanks again

ps alaska: i was never out of mbo

Rifle.

It's on a mesa and not nearly as threatening as flying into ASE. ILS and more than enough runway for a King Air.

The people at Rifle Jet Center are great. Most guys go to Aspen so I've never had a problem with traffic/ramp space. If ASE goes down though it can get a little busy. The prices don't seem to be as bad as Eagle either.

RIL is 20 minutes (driving) from Gleenwood which is a great town. The Hotel Colorado and Hotel Denver are nice hotels with a lot of history. There is skiing in Gleenwood but it is not the best. Aspen is another 45 minutes past Glenwood.

There is always Montrose (MTJ) too. Much "flatter" than the other mountain airports to the northeast. ILS approach and plenty of runway for the aircraft. Telluride is around 45 minutes away.

I am a flatlander as well and was intimidated going into the mountains at first. Just respect what they can do to your aircraft. Don't settle for weather you aren't comfortable with and don't get off course on your approach.

LL

Rifle.

It's on a mesa and not nearly as threatening as flying into ASE. ILS and more than enough runway for a King Air.

The people at Rifle Jet Center are great. Most guys go to Aspen so I've never had a problem with traffic/ramp space. If ASE goes down though it can get a little busy. The prices don't seem to be as bad as Eagle either.

RIL is 20 minutes (driving) from Gleenwood which is a great town. The Hotel Colorado and Hotel Denver are nice hotels with a lot of history. There is skiing in Gleenwood but it is not the best. Aspen is another 45 minutes past Glenwood.

There is always Montrose (MTJ) too. Much "flatter" than the other mountain airports to the northeast. ILS approach and plenty of runway for the aircraft. Telluride is around 45 minutes away.

I am a flatlander as well and was intimidated going into the mountains at first. Just respect what they can do to your aircraft. Don't settle for weather you aren't comfortable with and don't get off course on your approach.

LL

rifle is in a valley.

If you get to pick the resort, how about Steamboat Springs and fly into Craig, CO. Nice long runway with ILS. Craig is used by the airlines (American 757 service) as the airport for the resort town.

Have a good trip (hopefully you will get to airline home!)

If you get to pick the resort, how about Steamboat Springs and fly into Craig, CO. Nice long runway with ILS. Craig is used by the airlines (American 757 service) as the airport for the resort town.

Have a good trip (hopefully you will get to airline home!)

i think you are thinking of hayden, just east of craig. 10000' runway vs. craig's 5600'. hayden has airline service, the only time craig did was when twa inadvertently landed there.

Latest resources

Back