Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

junkjockey

FlyingSausage
Got a trip in the 90 somewhere in colorado over xmas. Im trying to figure out which airport would be the safest to get in and out of. We r gonna be kinda heavy so im concerned about climb gradient/runway length etc. Being from Mobile, AL and having almost 0 time flying in the mountains im trying to get someones expert opinion. I have done some research and think that Eagle would be the best considering runway length, elevation and aircraft performance. I get to make the decision where we r gonna ski based on where the best place to fly is. Any advice yall got would be greatly appreciated.

I was in your shoes about 3 years ago. I used to fly a 200 out a Georgia and Eagle is where we went. I told my boss the only way I would do it was to go in during the day and with good weather and he had no problem with that. Also Eagle is where alot of the good skiing is or within at least 30 minutes or so. Good luck and enjoy.

which airport

Also take a look at Rifle...it's about 15 minutes flying westbound and it's basically a vector to intercept the ILS down. Either is fine, just be way ahead of the game planning wise.

God I wish I knew my schedule that far out. hahahaa

Aspen ain't that bad for King Air flying, make sure it is a nice day and NO NIGHT OPS!! The KA's have so much power for their weight the climb grads usually aren't too bad, especially in the nice cool mountains

Rifle is usually much better than the rest. No night ops is a good rule of thumb for the general area until you've been there at least a couple of times. Once you get a mental picture of what the moutains are like you'll be much more comfortable.

For weather minimums I always go with VFR until the top of the SID or I ain't gonna do it.

Also stay at the hotel Denver in Glenwood. They have a brewpub in the hotel. No driving after a few too many. Great beer. I mean really great beer.

Last edited:
Ditto to what everyone has said. If the weather is a factor come the day of your flight Grand Junction makes for a great alternative and it's a reasonable drive to any of the ski areas. Just be aware that there will be arrival slots required to get in to those airports that time of year and they can be a bit tough to get.

Not trying to be a jerk, but fly into Denver Centenial and drive into the mountains. Don't have to worry about bad weather, the several feet of snow that will fall overnight and tip your King Air on its tail, or climb gradients. I have done this when I flew King Airs and there is plenty of hanger around Denver and only an hour or so drive to some of the ski resorts.

Latest resources

Back