• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

satpak77

Marriott Platinum Member
Guys

I am looking at the XMRadio MyFi, for use in the cockpit on long trips. I know this has been partially before, but to rehash, does it work without any problems? Questions:

1) Any problems/hiccups with the service when used in air?
2) How are you listening to it? Via earphones, or feeding it into headsets?
3) If feeding into headset, how?
4) Anyway to feed it over both crew headsets? My airplane is King Air 350
5) Any issues with Bose ANR headsets?
6) Where are you physically placing the unit? Up near the windshield?

etc

any info is appreciated

thanks

Myfi

I use mine coast to coast and Mexico up into Canada with no problems what so ever. I run mine through my ANR headset and just set the unit on the dash or I hold it in my hand because I am a bit of a channel surfer.
Hope it helps.

None, using XMWX too
Depends if I'm airlining then i use earbuds. If i'm flying I have a Y splitter with a booster so i can still hear ATC. The booster is key.
See above
Which radios do you have? I've done it in a couple of king air's i can give you an idea.
None unless you are using earbuds. You might have some weird noises till the electronics figure it out
It has a beltclip on the 90 i just hang it from the hinge for the storm window. On other airplanes i'll use the lipstick antenna on the dash and clip the unit down by my knee.

Which radios do you have? I've done it in a couple of king air's i can give you an idea.

standard Collins VHF-22A comm package

I also have a cellphone adapter which connects to headset, the kind seen in the various flying magazines, for what thats worth

Yeah the cellphone adapter will work fine. If it is the one that has the headphone looking plug. I would highly recommend get a power booster if you are going to go that route.

With the collins pack you can have your avionics tech run a wire so you can plug in the myfi into the radio stack.

We used to have a 10 disk cd player in the back of the -200. It would cut out when ATC or the Intercom was on.

Probably spent a lot more time than I should have at 17.5k with 1200 for the code not talking to anyone so they wouldn't ruin the music. :)

Diesel said:
None, using XMWX too
Depends if I'm airlining then i use earbuds. If i'm flying I have a Y splitter with a booster so i can still hear ATC. The booster is key.
See above
None unless you are using earbuds. You might have some weird noises till the electronics figure it out
It has a beltclip on the 90 i just hang it from the hinge for the storm window. On other airplanes i'll use the lipstick antenna on the dash and clip the unit down by my knee.

Diesel,

I have been a long time XM listener and just bought the Myfi. In our flight department we are flying Falcon 50's with Telex headsets. How can I set it up where both crew members can enjoy the myfi and listen to ATC? Any info you can offer is greatly appreciated.

DK

I've heard guys pump it through the mic switch but i don't know how it worked.

The problem is everytime you split it you need to boost the power on the myfi end because it tends to blank out the ATC and the intercom. ATC and Intercom sound like they are coming from a tin can.

Does the 50 have a Flight attendants panel or a jumpseat panel? A lot of commuter guys run it through the the third panel.

O&A party Rock

Diesel said:
I've heard guys pump it through the mic switch but i don't know how it worked.

The problem is everytime you split it you need to boost the power on the myfi end because it tends to blank out the ATC and the intercom. ATC and Intercom sound like they are coming from a tin can.

Does the 50 have a Flight attendants panel or a jumpseat panel? A lot of commuter guys run it through the the third panel.

O&A party Rock

It does have a jumpseat with an audio outlet. What do you reccomend.

Please let me know so that I can be corrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeecccccccccccttttttttteeeeeeeeedddddddddd.

Punchin out.

Put it right into the audio outlet with headphone to headphone wire. Basically a wire that has the plugin and no headsets just another plugin at the other end. It all depends on the size but it sounds like a pretty easy fix.

I'd also recomeend using the lipstick antenna and run it on the side with a paperclip in the side window.

I've got a foot thing on my foot.

Happy birthday Jimmy

Punchin out

Diesel said:
Put it right into the audio outlet with headphone to headphone wire. Basically a wire that has the plugin and no headsets just another plugin at the other end. It all depends on the size but it sounds like a pretty easy fix.

I'd also recomeend using the lipstick antenna and run it on the side with a paperclip in the side window.

I've got a foot thing on my foot.

Happy birthday Jimmy

Punchin out

Thanks for the advice.

How about a java log?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back