XJT Upgrade <2yrs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mckpickle said:
Holding CA on a paper bid and sitting in the left seat are two different things. That guy won't go to training for 3,4 or 5 months and then have 165 FO's senior to him. If they only open 15 captain slots on every bid and some of the 165 FO's decide to upgrade this guy won't see captain for a very very long time.

I realize this. Holding captain on a paper at 20 months is still better than holding captain on paper at 5 years. The intent of my post was to show that fast upgrades may actually return at XJT. Once the PIGS are gone, CAL can take as many XJT guys as they want. Maybe they will take more than what they are taking now which would actually drive the upgrades down to 18 months. Taking XJT guys would lower overall labor costs at XJT possibly allowing XJT to lower block hour costs they charge CAL. Both companies know this and if XJT is looking at controlling costs, I'm sure they have gone across the hall down at Smith street and visitied about this concept. I hear it has been cheaper for CAL to train XJT guys so both companies would win. If it saves them both money, they might just actually do it.

Truckdriver said:
I realize this. Holding captain on a paper at 20 months is still better than holding captain on paper at 5 years. The intent of my post was to show that fast upgrades may actually return at XJT. Once the PIGS are gone, CAL can take as many XJT guys as they want. Maybe they will take more than what they are taking now which would actually drive the upgrades down to 18 months. Taking XJT guys would lower overall labor costs at XJT possibly allowing XJT to lower block hour costs they charge CAL. Both companies know this and if XJT is looking at controlling costs, I'm sure they have gone across the hall down at Smith street and visitied about this concept. I hear it has been cheaper for CAL to train XJT guys so both companies would win. If it saves them both money, they might just actually do it.

I do hope you are right my friend! It is a very good point about lowering our unit cost to CAL. It is something they can help us do by hiring more of our guys. However having been here for the time I have I know one thing about CAL. They need to hate someone. Kinda like the retarded kid that everyone picked on. They've been beat up for 20 years and they need to dislike someone. For the last 5 years that someone has been XJT/COEX whatever you want to call us. I honestly think many of those guys....including the ones that make decissions enjoy the donkey punch they give us. JMO :D

Got a question for all your XJT guys. Just got hired there the other day. I hear the EWR is the most junior base..How long before I could get a line there?? Also, how long before I could just get to CLE and be on reserve if necessary?? How long to hold a line at CLE too??? Not quite sure if I want to leave the company I'm at now, they are spiraling down hill fast though...

mckpickle said:
I do hope you are right my friend! It is a very good point about lowering our unit cost to CAL. It is something they can help us do by hiring more of our guys. However having been here for the time I have I know one thing about CAL. They need to hate someone. Kinda like the retarded kid that everyone picked on. They've been beat up for 20 years and they need to dislike someone. For the last 5 years that someone has been XJT/COEX whatever you want to call us. I honestly think many of those guys....including the ones that make decissions enjoy the donkey punch they give us. JMO :D

The scabs calling the shots have to retire sooner or later...

Millls22 said:
Got a question for all your XJT guys. Just got hired there the other day. I hear the EWR is the most junior base..How long before I could get a line there?? Also, how long before I could just get to CLE and be on reserve if necessary?? How long to hold a line at CLE too??? Not quite sure if I want to leave the company I'm at now, they are spiraling down hill fast though...

I wouldn't count on holding anything in Cleveland, not even reserve, if you're a new-hire. Latest word is lines in Cleveland will be cut from about 150 down to 90 next year. Newark is just a crapshoot. Some new guys only spent 2 months on reserve this year, but that is not likely to continue forever.

Paul R. Smith said:
I was sitting at seniority #1400 about a year ago
Now I'm at 1150. Sure would not be out of the question to break 1000 once all the pref guys go over. It seems I would have to in order to hold a friggin line in CLE.:smash:

Breaking the 1000 mark won't get you very close to a line in CLE especially if the following happens...

BigShotXJTdrvr said:
Latest word is lines in Cleveland will be cut from about 150 down to 90 next year.

This is the second time I've heard this new rumor in the last few days. The first time I heard it was 100 lines for CLE next year. Where's the rumor coming from and what would be the driving force behind the 33% reduction?

A few months ago one of the line builders was saying that CLE might hit 150-160 next year but it'll never get any higher than that. Now there's talk of a large reduction?

Yeah I heard that too. Very reliable source too...
I can be in denial though can't I?

THIS THREAD HAS not BEEN HIJACKED FOR ALL THOSE CONCERNED

Last edited:
maybe its a new base opening?? Just a thought any guesses??? we do need a west coast base.

Nova said:
Breaking the 1000 mark won't get you very close to a line in CLE especially if the following happens...

This is the second time I've heard this new rumor in the last few days. The first time I heard it was 100 lines for CLE next year. Where's the rumor coming from and what would be the driving force behind the 33% reduction?

A few months ago one of the line builders was saying that CLE might hit 150-160 next year but it'll never get any higher than that. Now there's talk of a large reduction?

I mean I know CLE sux but why reduce it more? We already have a schedule only a mother could love. We have been reducing for 4 years straight. This used to be the mecca for us. Almost 190 lines on the jet and the ATRs were still around and that was after the beech 1900 left. A ton of banks were eliminated last time and the airport is pretty much done for XJT by 8pm.

Frustrated:crying:

Last edited:
Superpilot92 said:
maybe its a new base opening?? Just a thought any guesses??? we do need a west coast base.

Start holding your breath, all the kids are doing it these days. Supposedly its really cool.

Maybe I'm just gonna wake up from this dream and find myself flying for Alaska. :nuts: That would be nice.

Latest resources

Back