• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XJT Upgrade <2yrs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As a mid-04 hire, I'm going to be thrilled with anything less than a 5 year upgrade at Expressjet. A 4 year FO can make about 40k so it's not thaaat bad, sure, it could be better, but it can always be better.

I think everyone is encouraged by the G-tard upgrades on the last perm bid, but we should all listen to Peter Sailer. This guy knows what he's talking about. As a matter of fact, he told us a year ago in indoc that we would see a G captain by the end of 2005.....dead on. If Peter says movement is going to slow to a grinding halt after 300 more upgrades, it probably is.

Last edited:
Be positive thinkers. Hope for a 2 year upgrade pray that its not 4+. We will see when we see. Mid 04 huh well you are doing better than me. Carry on

I'm not entirely opposed to a few more years in the right seat given my experience and only a year of flying here under my belt.

There's a lot of things I still haven't done....I wanna see a 3 hour ground hold in the ballpark in EWR with a blizzard outside. What do you do, how do you handle that? I wanna see freezing rain falling on departure with deicing at the end of the runway in CLE. I wanna sit in that giant microwave in EWR. I wanna do a CAT II to minimums at least 2 or 3 times. I want to go missed at night on a VOR approach in the mountains of Mexico and divert to an alternate. Heck I still haven't done a diversion of any kind. Is it sadistic to want to see at least some kind of emergency in this airplane before I get put in the left seat? Over a year here and the closest I've come to an emergency is having the flight attendant close the main cabin door with the Acoustic curtain stuck in it.

But that's just me. If nothing else maybe sitting in the right seat for 5 years will make me better qualified for the left seat when (if) I ever do get there, but I could see how somebody coming from Indy air would get pretty frustrated with a 5 year upgrade. Maybe my opinion will change in a couple of years, but it's tough to complain when you're flying with guys who sat reserve for 2 years after 911. Just my 2 cents.

Now for the thread hijack.

I have a question. If you look at a website called airlinepilotcentral.com they say that CAL and ALPA are in negotiations for additional pilot bases in Florida, the Northeast (?), and the West Coast. Does anyone know if that is accurate? Or is it just BS CAL is putting out there to get more guys to apply to go work in their crap bases? If it is true, it may mean an XJT base in one or more of those places. Has anyone heard any real information?[/quote]

CALALPA did a survey about bases in the locations you mentioned. That's it.

Alchemy said:
I'm not entirely opposed to a few more years in the right seat given my experience and only a year of flying here under my belt.

There's a lot of things I still haven't done....I wanna see a 3 hour ground hold in the ballpark in EWR with a blizzard outside. What do you do, how do you handle that? I wanna see freezing rain falling on departure with deicing at the end of the runway in CLE. I wanna sit in that giant microwave in EWR. I wanna do a CAT II to minimums at least 2 or 3 times. I want to go missed at night on a VOR approach in the mountains of Mexico and divert to an alternate. Heck I still haven't done a diversion of any kind. Is it sadistic to want to see at least some kind of emergency in this airplane before I get put in the left seat? Over a year here and the closest I've come to an emergency is having the flight attendant close the main cabin door with the Acoustic curtain stuck in it.

But that's just me. If nothing else maybe sitting in the right seat for 5 years will make me better qualified for the left seat when (if) I ever do get there, but I could see how somebody coming from Indy air would get pretty frustrated with a 5 year upgrade. Maybe my opinion will change in a couple of years, but it's tough to complain when you're flying with guys who sat reserve for 2 years after 911. Just my 2 cents.

Very well said. Just the fact that your thinking about it tells me you'll make a fine skipper.

Alchemy said:
I wanna see a 3 hour ground hold in the ballpark in EWR with a blizzard outside.

Is it sadistic to want to see at least some kind of emergency in this airplane before I get put in the left seat?

1. It doesn't take a blizzard to be stuck int he ballpark
2. I'd be happy going my entire career without ever having an emergency.

dojetdriver said:

WELL said HOSS

dojetdriver said:

Ditto. I've been stuck out there for quite some time on a beautiful, sunny day because there is a stop on (Pick any or all fixes).

Emergencies, yeah, I think I'd learn a lot from having one as an F/O. On the other hand, I think I could still sleep at night not ever having one.

Latest resources

Back