• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XJT Upgrade <2yrs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Got a ? for ya. How can hiring XJT people at CAL hold down their (XJT) cost's. Way back when NWA was hiring we always heard they did not want to hire XJ or 9E folks cause then XJ and 9E had to hire and replace costing more than if they (NWA) hired from elsewere.

So about my question before, there is not even a chance of holding a line at EWR after about 6 to 8 months. What is IAH like...I have been on reserve for a little over a year now at my current regional, I was under the impression that our reserve and scheduling system was the worst out there..

xjlifer said:
Got a ? for ya. How can hiring XJT people at CAL hold down their (XJT) cost's. Way back when NWA was hiring we always heard they did not want to hire XJ or 9E folks cause then XJ and 9E had to hire and replace costing more than if they (NWA) hired from elsewere.

I'm not expert but I believe its partly due to the fact that we are sending most of our guys directly to CAL. They leave from the top of our list in large numbers so we lose relatively high tenure (8-10 year) guys making more per hour and having 3 weeks vacation. We replace them with relatively junior captains with less vacation and make much less per hour. And the company does not have as much to match on the 401k and less on the b-plan. I could go on but I'm just speculatin anyway but this is how it was once explained to me by a union rep.

Millls22 said:
So about my question before, there is not even a chance of holding a line at EWR after about 6 to 8 months. What is IAH like...I have been on reserve for a little over a year now at my current regional, I was under the impression that our reserve and scheduling system was the worst out there..

Trust me, as far as scheduling systems go, some may be better but they all suck.:D

Reserve system isnt that bad but its alot better if you live in one of the base cities.

It would benefit both companies if CAL would take more of our pilots. Costs go down plus easy transition for our guys that are already based in one of CALS bases. JMHO

Paul R. Smith said:
I'm not expert but I believe its partly due to the fact that we are sending most of our guys directly to CAL. They leave from the top of our list in large numbers so we lose relatively high tenure (8-10 year) guys making more per hour and having 3 weeks vacation. We replace them with relatively junior captains with less vacation and make much less per hour. And the company does not have as much to match on the 401k and less on the b-plan. I could go on but I'm just speculatin anyway but this is how it was once explained to me by a union rep.

Well that makes sense..kinda what XJ is trying to do in BK!

Millls22 said:

if you get on now probably, hold a line in ewr in 8-9 months and remember 2 of those months are while in training.

The schedule cut (gut?) in Cleveland is no rumor. Reason is CAL is not making any money there. Peter Sailer is telling it to the upgrade classes. And the thread has not really been hijacked. A big schedule reduction will affect upgrade times. Another thing that's no rumor is that the number of lines in Newark is going to vary a lot next year. For whatever reason crew planning has not been happy with keeping the number of lines relatively consistant, so next year there will be greater swings of the number of lines each month. Could mean holding a line one month, a relief the next, and flirting with reserve the next. Back to a line the next.

Now for the thread hijack.

I have a question. If you look at a website called airlinepilotcentral.com they say that CAL and ALPA are in negotiations for additional pilot bases in Florida, the Northeast (?), and the West Coast. Does anyone know if that is accurate? Or is it just BS CAL is putting out there to get more guys to apply to go work in their crap bases? If it is true, it may mean an XJT base in one or more of those places. Has anyone heard any real information?

Last edited:
Thats what i was saying. The west coast is pretty much where CAL still has room to grow in the USA so i think its only a matter of time before it happens.

Could we merge with Horizon? Who knows i sure dont but i wish i did.

We won't merge with Horizon, but CAL may look to get turboprop feed from them out there. They could probably offer very attractive rates with a large prop fleet, and high fuel prices.

Latest resources

Back