• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XJT and Skywest in talks again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Really? According to the 8k that XJT filed, it said they called SkyWest asking for one final offer (which JA lowballed even further from the original offer) after CAL stuck a gun to XJT's head and said sign this new agreement or else. XJT really had no other option as CAL said the deal had to be done within a day or their flying was going bye-bye. You spin it your way, I'll spin it mine.

WOW - Seems like CAL was whipsawing SKW & XJT. I suspect XJT will now need to get pay concessions from its pilot group to stay in business under the new CPA with CAL. I hope this isn't the start of a new trend.

I think CAL used SKYW as a decoy and as stated above used both of them to get the lowest price. Management always gets what they want, ALWAYS.

I think CAL used SKYW as a decoy and as stated above used both of them to get the lowest price. Management always gets what they want, ALWAYS.

Maybe I'm biased, but it seems to me JA stuck to his guns. He was either going to get the deal he wanted, at his price, or nothing. Turned out to be nothing.

Meanwhile, SkyWest, Inc. keeps loading millions into the bank account while ExpressJet Holdings, Inc. keeps losing it.

Really? According to the 8k that XJT filed, it said they called SkyWest asking for one final offer (which JA lowballed even further from the original offer) after CAL stuck a gun to XJT's head and said sign this new agreement or else. XJT really had no other option as CAL said the deal had to be done within a day or their flying was going bye-bye. You spin it your way, I'll spin it mine.

I thought it was clear I was talking about the CPA SKW had negotiated with CAL. I was not talking about the buyout price or terms and conditions of the transaction. My comment you quoted was to a reply from a poster who I thought was speaking from the pilot's point of view. From the XJT pilot's point of view, the deal SKW had with CAL for XJT is far worse than what XJT got with CAL.

As for the transaction itself, obviously the special committee didn't think it was a good enough deal either since they "asked SkyWest to respond with its best and final offer to acquire ExpressJet and to remove as many conditions as possible to its merger proposal." Although I think favorably of the XJT management, I'm not naive enough to think they wouldn't have pulled the trigger on the buyout if they thought it was a good deal. That is why I wasn't speaking to the buyout. But I guess you drink enough kool aid that you took it as an attack on SKW and felt compelled to somehow defend what your management was trying to do to XJT pilots and the profession.

Can we please move on from this?

Please?

It's OVER, XJT will go on...and probably be good competition for us at SkyWest. We need to focus on providing a good product and improving our fortunes HERE instead of salivating over what JA and friends are going to do with that 600 million in the bank.

Maybe I'm biased, but it seems to me JA stuck to his guns. He was either going to get the deal he wanted, at his price, or nothing. Turned out to be nothing.

Meanwhile, SkyWest, Inc. keeps loading millions into the bank account while ExpressJet Holdings, Inc. keeps losing it.

XJT and SKW got played by CAL. Although SKW didn't have anything to lose from playing the game, as you stated, so it didn't matter to them if they were being played as they probably calculated that the reward was worth that small risk.

In the end, I think the outcome was best mostly for CAL. SKW remains status quo and it remains to be seen for XJT.

I thought it was clear I was talking about the CPA SKW had negotiated with CAL. I was not talking about the buyout price or terms and conditions of the transaction. My comment you quoted was to a reply from a poster who I thought was speaking from the pilot's point of view. From the XJT pilot's point of view, the deal SKW had with CAL for XJT is far worse than what XJT got with CAL.

As for the transaction itself, obviously the special committee didn't think it was a good enough deal either since they "asked SkyWest to respond with its best and final offer to acquire ExpressJet and to remove as many conditions as possible to its merger proposal." Although I think favorably of the XJT management, I'm not naive enough to think they wouldn't have pulled the trigger on the buyout if they thought it was a good deal. That is why I wasn't speaking to the buyout. But I guess you drink enough kool aid that you took it as an attack on SKW and felt compelled to somehow defend what your management was trying to do to XJT pilots and the profession.

Then admit that you were just ASSUMING that SKW deal with CAL was worse than what XJT got? Since the details of the CPA between SKW/CAL was never released, how would you ever know?

You must also be assuming that in no way did XJT have to undercut the deal that SKW made to sign your own CPA with CAL?

If the new XJT/CAL CPA was that great, why did XJT ask for a one day extension with CAL in order to hear one last proposal from SKW? Did the BOD think JA would finally up his offer past $3.50 per share?

Can we please move on from this?

Please?

It's OVER, XJT will go on...and probably be good competition for us at SkyWest. We need to focus on providing a good product and improving our fortunes HERE instead of salivating over what JA and friends are going to do with that 600 million in the bank.

That's an easy one. SkyWest Inc. will continue to buy back stock since it is at such a discount. I think everyone is circling the wagons, so to speak. SkyW Inc. was barred from buying back stock for a little while due to the XJT offer. That offer is dead (not that it can't be resurrected), but I believe SkyW Inc. will continue to buy back stock and look for unique investing opportunities (like purchasing XJT for $188 million.) Are there any out there? Who knows? Right now everyone will have to wait it out as the Mainline partners are cutting everywhere they can to reduce costs.

Trojan

Then admit that you were just ASSUMING that SKW deal with CAL was worse than what XJT got? Since the details of the CPA between SKW/CAL was never released, how would you ever know?

You must also be assuming that in no way did XJT have to undercut the deal that SKW made to sign your own CPA with CAL?

If the new XJT/CAL CPA was that great, why did XJT ask for a one day extension with CAL in order to hear one last proposal from SKW? Did the BOD think JA would finally up his offer past $3.50 per share?

I'm not assuming anything. A redacted version of the CPA was released to the XJT MEC. Anyways, SKW made it clear and public to XJT pilots what the deal was that they had between them and CAL. And it had whipsawing all over it.

As for undercutting, you just need to go back to the original CAL letter to XJT which says, "absent our entering into a new CPA with savings of the magnitude we have negotiated with SkyWest..." So it seems that XJT gave CAL savings on the magnitude that SKW had negotiated.

As for the new CPA, you are getting that mixed up with the actual buyout transaction. The special committee would have sold if the price was right regardless of the CPAs. They have a fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders and were trying to get the best value for them in the transaction. In the face of signing the new CPA with CAL it would have been malpractice for them not to ask for the last best offer from SKW before signing the CPA with CAL.

Again, XJT would have signed off on this transaction if the price was right. It was just business for all parties concerned. You need to put down the cup of kool aid already.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back