• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XJT and Midwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A third year fo at skyworst makes $35.61/hr. To make 65K a year you would have to ave 140 hrs of pay/month. I really doubt you do that. Why would you lie about how much you make? Skywest is a good company...with good bases, but it is non union and definately hurts the industry with its low wages. There is no reason to defend it. Wake up we are labor, we need to make as much money as we can, they, meaning mgt don't give a rats ass about us, why should we give a rats ass about them or their damn company. The average pilot will go through 7 airlines in his career, you need to do what is best for you and your family.

SkyNation said:
I am a soon to be 3rd year FO at SkyWest. My friend and former instructor is a CA at XJT finishing his first year in the left seat. We will make almost identical $ this year (around 60K). His benefits are very similar to mine, some better, some worse. He says no glowing things about his QOL, CLE, EWR, IAH, et. etc. etc. So, I guess it depends on who you ask, right?

3rd year XJT CA Pay: 62/Hour
2nd year XJT CA Pay (not that we have any): 60/Hour
3rd year SkyWest FO Pay: 36/Hour
2nd year Skywest FO Pay: 35/Hour

I fail to see how you can make 58% as much as he does and hour yet make identical amounts. For you to make $60,000 before deductions and taxes you would have to credit over 1700 hours of pay. For your friend at ExpressJet to make $60,000 before deductions and taxes he would have to credit 967 hours of pay (very normal, most likely on the low side with profit sharing, and work rule benifits)

If you are really making as much as him and you don't have a second job that your counting or something than you must have been FBO'd off of 35 or more trips and picked up replacement trips for double pay (if you can do that at SkyWest). Thats all I can think of.

I'm not saying your a liar, I'm just saying I don't get it.

SkyNation said:
this horse has been beaten to death. the important number to consider is credit, not block. I'll credit around 1350 hours this year, I've heard of some guys being up around 1500 of credit. I also include performance rewards in the total. I only reply because people who claim that us poor SkyWest pilots are 'underpaid' are only looking at our hourly rate, and that is only part of the story. all the other adds up to the bottom line, and in the end we do as well or better than any other regional.

So you will make around $48000 this year. At 1500 hrs you would make 54000. And that would be an avg of 125hrs per mo. I doubt you or anyone at your non union airline is averaging 125hrs per mo.

SkyNation said:
this horse has been beaten to death. the important number to consider is credit, not block. I'll credit around 1350 hours this year, I've heard of some guys being up around 1500 of credit. I also include performance rewards in the total. I only reply because people who claim that us poor SkyWest pilots are 'underpaid' are only looking at our hourly rate, and that is only part of the story. all the other adds up to the bottom line, and in the end we do as well or better than any other regional.
just think, if you and mr. 1500 credit time would stop picking up open time trips, you could both upgrade (company would have to hire) and then you could work half as much for the same pay. isn't that what we all want???

ERJFO said:
3rd year XJT CA Pay: 62/Hour
2nd year XJT CA Pay (not that we have any): 60/Hour
3rd year SkyWest FO Pay: 36/Hour
2nd year Skywest FO Pay: 35/Hour

I fail to see how you can make 58% as much as he does and hour yet make identical amounts. For you to make $60,000 before deductions and taxes you would have to credit over 1700 hours of pay. For your friend at ExpressJet to make $60,000 before deductions and taxes he would have to credit 967 hours of pay (very normal, most likely on the low side with profit sharing, and work rule benifits)

If you are really making as much as him and you don't have a second job that your counting or something than you must have been FBO'd off of 35 or more trips and picked up replacement trips for double pay (if you can do that at SkyWest). Thats all I can think of.

I'm not saying your a liar, I'm just saying I don't get it.

No you can say it...he's a liar.

wheelsup said:
just think, if you and mr. 1500 credit time would stop picking up open time trips, you could both upgrade (company would have to hire) and then you could work half as much for the same pay. isn't that what we all want???

Stop putting logic into the equation. This is flightinfo.

Whydoitry said:
A third year fo at skyworst makes $35.61/hr. To make 65K a year you would have to ave 140 hrs of pay/month. I really doubt you do that. Why would you lie about how much you make? Skywest is a good company...with good bases, but it is non union and definately hurts the industry with its low wages. There is no reason to defend it. Wake up we are labor, we need to make as much money as we can, they, meaning mgt don't give a rats ass about us, why should we give a rats ass about them or their dang company. The average pilot will go through 7 airlines in his career, you need to do what is best for you and your family.

Uhhmmm...maybe because they pay you to work for them and provide you a means to support both you and your family?

Nonbelievers and Haters,

my stub from 7/7/06 (pay period ending 6/30, or half the year) shows:

YTD 29145.61 24242.61 1911.35 4586.73 22647.53

my most current one for the period ending 8/31 shows:

YTD 37672.64 31345.34 2472.09 6461.11 28739.44

ya'll do the math.

why would I lie? all I'm saying is that even though my CA friend at XJT of course makes more than me, it won't be by much.

again, why would I make this up? PM me your address and I'll mail you a copy if you still don't believe me.

SkyNation:
I believe you, but that's not enough information. HOW do you do it? Please be specific so a dumb guy like me can understand. How many days do you work a month? How many hours do you fly? How are you making the difference? Again, please be specific, if you've got some good ways to make some green, please share with the rest of us!

Instigator,

thanks.

I typically bid for 12 or 13 days off per month, but I pick up stuff on my days off if it's worth it (a good local, a time and 1/2 trip, etc.). I try to get my credit up around 110 hours or more per month. I had a good first 6 months this year, but I have slowed down as you can see by my last stub totals. I plan on picking up again in the fall/winter. Remember also that the totals include Holiday and vacation pay, plus for me a small amount of Performance Rewards. Those will be larger after my 2 year anniversary, and if history holds should add an additional 4K or so per year. So, in 2007 I'll make over 60K if I work like I did this year. I have friends, though, who won't crack 50K because they bid strictly for time off. To each his own.

I don't mean to be part of the 'my W2 is bigger than yours' crap. My point in posting it is to prove that we make competitive $ here at SkyWest.

Latest resources

Back