• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XJT agrees to new 7 year CPA with CAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SKW has every right to still buy XJT but our scope hasn't changed, they would still have to create 1 list with one contract (most likely represented by ALPA). The whole reason the deal didn't go thru before was because we would not give up on our scope language. Your Uncle J does not want that, how hard is it to understand this?
I may be totally missing some or all of the in's and out's of "Union CBA's 101", but wouldn't the easy fix for that be a straight up merger with ASA and let ALPA figure it out? I mean, I know the CBA says the buyer has to integrate...but does it have to be all 3 carriers? Or can it be with the one group that is unionized?

I'm not saying that's what should happen...I don't want to see our bro's at ASA get the shaft...but curious if it coiuld be handled that way...

Last edited:
A brilliant move by Jerry

This as a win for everybody the way I see it. And a brilliant move by Jerry.

First of all it's great that Expressjet gets to keep their flying. Secondly, Jerry is a genious. He went fishing for Expressjet on the cheap and didn't catch a fish. BUT, he DID force them to lower their price for CAL which will weaken Expressjet, and likely cause them to stop fly ERJs at a loss where they don't belong (like in and out of SLC for Delta, in SkyWests backyard).

.... which will weaken Expressjet, and likely cause them to stop fly ERJs at a loss where they don't belong (like in and out of SLC for Delta, in SkyWests backyard).

I was under the impression that was Delta's flying, not SkyWest's. If Delta had wanted SkyWest to do that flying, one would think that would have happened without Jerry's "engineering." The lower rates threaten branded flying, not Delta (CPA) flying.

This as a win for everybody the way I see it. And a brilliant move by Jerry.

First of all it's great that Expressjet gets to keep their flying. Secondly, Jerry is a genious. He went fishing for Expressjet on the cheap and didn't catch a fish. BUT, he DID force them to lower their price for CAL which will weaken Expressjet, and likely cause them to stop fly ERJs at a loss where they don't belong (like in and out of SLC for Delta, in SkyWests backyard).

Plus SkyWest recieved a 10 million dollar excersize fee from Continental for setting up a competitive CPA bid.

SkyWest didn't go through these efforts, at Continentals request, for free.

Probably not many furloughs.. but if ONT closes I would expect LAX to go super senior. As a west coaster I would rather bid back to the right seat than commute across the country to a COEX base. I guess we'll have to hang on and see what happens.

Hopefully there aren't too many of you.

The airplane shifting is a bit complex. We would be left with 205 CAL and 10 DAL under CPAs (215) 30 will be kept for OTC "other than CAL" flying (245).

Yes, much of branded will be cut, but I am not convinced ONT will close completely. A whole bunch of the West Coast stuff, high yield, high load factor, low fuel burn flights are still doing very well. Most likely those 30 at-risk frames will be split between branded and charter in a seasonally shifting allotment to each. Charter revenue is very good.

DAL will need to make a decision on if they want more than 10 airplanes under their CPA because with the new CAL deal we can offer whatever CPA deal we can get on more than 10 airplanes without giving CAL the same price. I bet we see an expanded DAL CPA anouncement very soon. DAL pro-rate will die before branded (it's just branded in DAL paint) and we may want to ship those planes back to CAL instead of the XJT brand planes. DAL may want/need to keep them. We also may exercise the options when the EMB-135s are parked if there is a reason to do so. No I am not on drugs.

Also we're just a CAL vendor and we need CAL to not go into BK. If so, so much for any "secure" 7 year deal.

Last edited:
I may be totally missing some or all of the in's and out's of "Union CBA's 101", but wouldn't the easy fix for that be a straight up merger with ASA and let ALPA figure it out? I mean, I know the CBA says the buyer has to integrate...but does it have to be all 3 carriers? Or can it be with the one group that is unionized?

I'm not saying that's what should happen...I don't want to see our bro's at ASA get the shaft...but curious if it coiuld be handled that way...

Interesting thought that Uncle J might want to see if ALPA would be happy merging just XJT and ASA. As there is really no benefit, that I can see, anyway, to letting that happen for SKYW Inc., I doubt it would happen.

However, in that scenario, I don't see the ASA guys getting screwed. I think that ASA has a pretty senior group of people; I think we would do okay with a merger.

Latest resources

Back