• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XJ or AE?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Commuting to MEM isn't too easy cause there are so few flights. DTW-MSP is a more crowded commute but there are a LOT more options to get there including making connections through MKE, GRR, IND, ect...
I commuted MSP-MEM for three years and never had a problem. The pairings are very commutable. Didn't even have a crashpad for the last year.

The month I was there on the Saab nothing was same day commutable from DTW. I did a round trip repo yesterday and had 3 jumpseaters (1 down 2 up) because they couldn't get on either 1 pm flight and would have had to wait til the 5pm bank (one missing his showtime in the process) Flights are full and choices few to MEM... those guys got lucky yesterday. It doesn't happen often. The best advice is still live in base if you can. If not I would take the commute to MSP over MEM from DTW. YMMV.

The month I was there on the Saab nothing was same day commutable from DTW. I did a round trip repo yesterday and had 3 jumpseaters (1 down 2 up) because they couldn't get on either 1 pm flight and would have had to wait til the 5pm bank (one missing his showtime in the process) Flights are full and choices few to MEM... those guys got lucky yesterday. It doesn't happen often. The best advice is still live in base if you can. If not I would take the commute to MSP over MEM from DTW. YMMV.
Of course, that isn't the question. He wants to live in MSP not DTW.

Thanks for the info Flybet3. My goal is to live in MSP. I know commuting sucks but how bad would a DTW - MSP or MEM - MSP commute be? one leg? should be easy right?

Don't forget about FedEx. The flight times aren't the greatest but it's almost a guaranteed ride to/from work.

That's exactly what I was about to recommend. I usually commute with fedex 80% of the time. The way I look at it is that I've made my peace with commuting b/c I refuse to move from Texas and the only Majors that I would like to work for don't really have a Dallas base (except SWA). So for me commuting for the rest of my career is a possibility. Look at it this way let's say you commute from MEM/DTW to MSP for a few months and then get MSP awarded, well that's just great!! But once you upgrade you'll be back commuting most likely again LOL. Good luck and learn to "love" what you hate :beer:

That's exactly what I was about to recommend. I usually commute with fedex 80% of the time. The way I look at it is that I've made my peace with commuting b/c I refuse to move from Texas and the only Majors that I would like to work for don't really have a Dallas base (except SWA). So for me commuting for the rest of my career is a possibility. Look at it this way let's say you commute from MEM/DTW to MSP for a few months and then get MSP awarded, well that's just great!! But once you upgrade you'll be back commuting most likely again LOL. Good luck and learn to "love" what you hate :beer:

It's still better than the 4 days off a month i get now. My 135 chief schedule feels like prison. I can't wait to get out of this job.

"Everyday is worse than the day before, so no matter what day you see me, it's the worst day of my life." Office Space

Now that AE cancelled all new hire classes today I dont think that you have much of a choice Express Jet it is.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back