• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

XJ Memo about 9E & Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Funny, memo comes out about not closing the boarding door til the cargo door is closed.... on time goes in the toilet. Now they are seeing Delta play hardball and all of a sudden, please close door and be out on time... well which is it? You can't have things both ways guys. I don't trust this group. It's like they want to have it both ways so they can second guess you to suit which ever way they feel like peeing that day. I'm all for working together as a team to make things better for everyone but when one side doesn't want to make an effort don't expect the other side to go out of their way either.

I don't know if we have a lot of new captains being ignorant or a lot of old captains being stubborn, but whatever the reason there have been a lot of delays lately that probably could have been avoided. Like taking a van to the airport that would have brought the crew to the airport well after showtime. Is this really a big deal to catch a van to get to work ontime? There are some captains who refuse to drop the brake if the cargo door is still open, despite the other parameters of being "on time" clearly met. Maybe some guys don't know you can drop the brake with the cargo door open and still get out on time. Maybe this is the fault of the company going to TAMDAR too. Whatever it is, we as pilots can control all of this by being proactive and not lazy globs of pastries and coffee held together by insomina and dreams of working for Fed Ex. Like the other posters said before, the purpose of the memo was to inform all of us of the people to call when something wasn't being done correctly. So call them. Hound them. Make them responsible and quit the bitching! The crew room in whatever hub you choose to visit is always awash in the flab of the clucking hens, but so too you have the old Grimaces bitching about the direction of the company, guys that had the time to go to Fed Ex 5 years ago but didn't. Some of the old Avro captains I flew with are still crying about being displaced to the Saab while making Avro pay. I was making unemployment pay at that time so I really don't care what you have to say. If it is so bad, you should have moved on when you had the chance. But they argue the schedule the pay! So they stay and thus earn the right to cry and whine. Now their latest focus is the flow to big brother or the lack of and the crew room is filled with this great debate. Hooray. Something else to cry about.

I have no great love for Joe, either. I had a MX issue on a CDO, cancelled the flight went back to bed only to get a call from him at noon when I was in a dead sleep so he could understand the issue. In the end, he is obviously a numbers man, and I suppose the screws are being put to him by his keeper. Do the job legally, by the contract, by the rules and CYA but for godsakes be smart and do the job right and as a professional. Get to the airport on time, have the plane ready to go and if it is not, but ready to contact the proper managers to relay your gripes. It isn't hard, it is our job.

Up until recently, not sure the date, all doors had to be closed and the aircraft ready to power/push in order to drop the brake to record the out time (Saab anyway, don't know about the jet). This is another example of XJ tripping over a dollar to save ... well in this case a penny.

May 22 on the cargo door memo and I know alot of Saab guys that aren't even aware of this procedure. Maybe they should read their memos and if they did we wouldn't have this Delta 9e memo posted.

May 22 on the cargo door memo and I know alot of Saab guys that aren't even aware of this procedure. Maybe they should read their memos and if they did we wouldn't have this Delta 9e memo posted.

The memo says the cargo door does not have to be closed prior to closing the cabin door, but the "out time" is still dependant on being ready to push which you can't be with an open cargo door, or beginning the taxi under your own power when there is no jetbridge. Back to waiting for numbers before starting #1 with no jetbridge, then blocking out when ready to taxi. These changes were in the last POM revision.

POM CH3 pg 68, and FOM 7.1.2 4(a&b)

Last edited:
here is a cut and paste from our leaders last letter.

Below is a transcript of John Spanjers’ weekly message for employees on May 30, 2008. You may call 1-877-637-2225 to listen to the message.​
Hi, this is John and today is Friday, May 30, 2008.​
First, we had another week of excellent operational performance. This past Saturday, we posted a 100% completion factor system-wide, and more importantly, we are exceeding our monthly goals for both completion factor and on-time departures. Further, our personnel at our Memphis hub recorded 100% completion factors for eight straight days from May 21
st through May 28th. Thank you for your excellent performance.

this must be the "below industry performance letter"

Isn't minimally staffed hub ramps one of the biggest causes of both delays AND fuel waste? Also, how about a better (quicker) W/B system for the Saab? Talk about wasting gas!

Doesn't the POM language say that out time at a hub is when the brake is released for the capture?

I think some feel that by "sticking their neck out", and doing something like releasing the brake before capture, the company may come back and try and burn them. This happened with us one time when a non-rev had to be pulled off after we closed up and blocked out on time. Dispatch ended up scolding us for being blocked out before the right engine was running. (per DTW camera) I was called by a chief about this and was quoted chapter and verse about what out time is and that we should not have been out.

When a minor issue like this gets management torqued up, it doesn't give me any warm fuzzies about doing the company favors that could get me yelled at later.

When a minor issue like this gets management torqued up, it doesn't give me any warm fuzzies about doing the company favors that could get me yelled at later.

Perfectly worded. It happens everywhere, but that's about the best way I've seen it written.

Good luck; we'll all need it sooner or later.

Question about the TAMDAR...if the cargo door is open but main closed, will the out time be transmitted? When it transmits can company see that cargo was still open?

I understand that the time TAMDAR sends is brake drop following door closure along with the time the main door was closed (I got a call about dropping the brake too soon after the door was closed since there wasn't enough time to start an engine...). Does it send info about the cargo door?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back