XJ CRJ FO's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sf3boy said:
The displaced pilots better get what they can out of the contract. If they don't we might as well not send any negotiators when this one is up. As far as CHQ goes, prolly a crapier place but you will upgrade there, unlike here at XJ.

Well geez then buddy , it's not so crappy then is it...goofball...

ASH said:

Relax!! Any company that's hiring is better than any company that's firing, when you have a family to support! Everybody is just trying to look out for themselves, unfortunately, sometimes it comes at the expense of others - not a desirable situation! The intention of this thread was for experienced XJ'rs to inform us newbies, not to bash CHQ, or anyone else.

ASH said:

I was referring to the QOL life as an FO is probably better at XJ......but there is no career advancing at XJ. Don't get me wrong, they both are bad in their own outstanding ways.

sf3boy said:
Massive training costs are on the horizon. Way to go Spanjers and Foley on your foresight.

That blended FO pay rate is going to cost the company millions in retraining. If senior FO's had an incentive to fly the jets, the company wouldn't have to train twice as many pilots. We went through this at the end/beginning of '02-'03 where we furloughed and then had to displace Saab FO's to Avro FO's because the Avro FO's got furloughed.

Yes, training costs will go up. Yes, our company will face many dollars in retraining costs. Yes, our company is looking very grim for the next 6 months to a year. Spanjers and Foley's fault of lack of foresight? I disagree. The ASA that were signed 2 weeks ago knew that they were going into bankrupcty. The whole "we are parking Avro's" is bullshit. All NWA can do is decrease flying, which they've done, the 9 Avro's. But terminating a lease in Chapter 11 can't happen without judges approval. They may or may not be gone. And if they are gone, training costs will occur, but how is that Spanjer's fault after NWA bankrupcty? XJ agreement prior to filing Chap 11 was that XJ was NWA specific agreement. You are blasting something that couldn't happen pre-bankrupcty.

And BTW, have you seen where the senior ARJ FO's are at? They aren't moving!! We will still have numerous training events, but lets wait and see exactly what happens. Do you really think all Avro's will go away? (meaning, come on, all 35? They will keep some.)

Also remember that MAIR is a creditor in these bankruptcy proceedings, and therefore entitled certain rights. Mr. Spanjers has already stated that at this juncture (outside a judge's order) Northwest cannot arbitrarily change the ASA, though they can ask Mesaba to plan for whatever their requests will be to the judge. What Northwest can do is miss payments and hold assets (without payment or reimbursement) pass the bankruptcy declaration date up to what I believe is a 45 (or 90?) day period.

Yes, Northwest owns a "controlling" interest in MAIR (and PNCL I believe), but MAIR and PNCL are still creditors. They are not as helpless as Foley/Spanjers lead us to believe in wielding the financial sword. Granted, it is BECAUSE of that controlling interest that Mr. Steenland resigned (for now) from the board (like Anderson did in 2003 during pilot contract negotiations -- the first time the Avros went away). Yet, despite all this dire news, all the big-time holders of MAIR stock are not unloading their shares! Whats up with that? If you were a common investor, would you not be unloading your shares of MAIR while you can or exercising your options? AH HA, thats the key there, these guys are not the common share holders. What do they know we do not? Follow the money, these guys are and have been, long term investors in MAIR.

If the Avros do go (and lets face it, they will sooner than later, but no one knows the REAL timeline yet), what do they know about the placement then of MAIR in Northwest's future that keeps them from selling? If Mr. Spanjers is musing Chapter 11 protection for Mesaba, why aren't these guys unloading their shares before MAIR plummets to $.67 like NWACq.pk and MAIR moves to the OTB exchange? What do they know?

Sing it Brotha!

JP Austin has it right. These guys think with their $. Look at Dougie; he started unloading his shares of NWA six months ago and did some SERIOUS selling last month. Jeez, he makes Martha Stuart look like small, crunchy cookies.

When these guys start selling off their shares in large quantities, then I'll get scared.

I also don't know how a BK Judge in his right mind would go along with them. I realize the good majority of them are in the back pocket of these companies but how can you overlook the fact that NWA EXTENDED the contract of the Avro's by EIGHT years just 3 weeks before the jump into BK. So, if these planes are so horrible to operate, why extend the contract just before BK!?!

captpetefam said:
I also don't know how a BK Judge in his right mind would go along with them. I realize the good majority of them are in the back pocket of these companies but how can you overlook the fact that NWA EXTENDED the contract of the Avro's by EIGHT years just 3 weeks before the jump into BK. So, if these planes are so horrible to operate, why extend the contract just before BK!?!
Simple, they put all 85 seats in them.

Yeah, I was more or less just venting on the fact that our company can't do anything on their own. Foley and Spanjers are told how MAIR will conduct its business, its not like they actually make business decisions for MAIR.

http://www.airlinemonitor.com/articles/8/part2/index.htm

I posted this before (right now the link is down, but it was up an hour ago so it should be back), but go to I believe pages 19-24 (on the left column) and compare CRJ900 (even 700) to the RJ85 (69 seats). Obviously the RJ85 is expensive as compared to them, however, look just at the hourly block costs of all of them versus the number of seats. I know, these are 2004 dollars, but it can be assumed that the cost increases due to fuel are shared across the board.

CRJ900 (total average) --
Hourly Block - $1768.70
Flight Crew Cost ASM - 0.64 cents
CASM - 6.7 cents
Cost per A/C mile - $5.20
Fuel cost per gallon - $1.21
AVERAGE SEATS PER A/C - 84.2
Total M/X hourly - 250.55

CRJ700 (total average) --
Hourly Block - $1425.69
Flight Crew Cost ASM - 1.3 cents
CASM - 6.26 cents
Cost per A/C mile - $4.34
Fuel cost per gallon - $1.28
AVERAGE SEATS PER A/C - 69.3
Total M/X hourly - $262.46

ARJ85 (total average) --
Hourly Block - $2001.73
Flight Crew Cost ASM - 1.35 cents
CASM - 10.53 cents
Fuel cost per gallon - $1.15
AVERAGE SEATS PER A/C - 69.0
Total M/X hourly cost - $460.83 (nearly twice as much for two more engines)

DC9 (all averaged) --
Hourly Block - $2897.26
CASM - 11.98 cents
Flight Crew Cost ASM - 3.46 cents
Fuel cost per gallon - $1.14
AVERAGE SEATS PER A/C - 104
Total M/X hourly cost - $479.84

NOW, using very simple math assumptions (I could be way off on this, but I'm trying atleast), 85 seats in the Avro is a 19 percent increase. So I decreased the CASM buy 19% and came up of with 8.53 cents. Yes, still higher than the CRJ900 and CRJ700, but that atleast buys a time stop gap until a suitable replacement and expansion of that seat capacity is possible. Plus, operating a single fleet with multiple hull sizes like Bombardier or Embraer offers increases an airlines strategic AND tactical flexibility for best matching route to capacity.

Latest resources

Back