• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WX Radar to avoid Birdstrike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you are flying an airplane with Predictive Wind Shear capability, isn't the radar running anyhow?

Yes. 2300 AGL and below is the magic number. So i guess we should "NEVER" have bird strikes below 2300 ft AGL. I don't know about you, but i think it's all luck or lack there of.

You are hitting less birds due to global warming causing more male birds to be born and less females. Without the females to reproduce there are less birds, thus less strikes. I suggest you pay your carbon credits immediately and keep that radar on...

The last time I took a crap, it really smelled rough..... My poop used to always smell like pure rosebuds.....

-I'll bet "Global Warming" had something to do with this irregularity.

-I just farted-a new "carbon bredit has just been born!

My professor at Riddle said that this technique is not effective anymore.

Correct! They are learning..getting smarter..Just like your toaster..your coffee maker..your microwave....
your COMPUTER..It's a matter of time!

One day, we will be humbled by our own doing.

Much more to say, but BIG BROTHER advises me to quit posting at this point.

Last edited:
The bird you are going to hit is outside your cockpit windows, not inside it. Use your eyes. See and avoid. By the time you see something on your radar and decide that the pattern you see is a bird flock, and then determine based on your tilt and gain settings where said flock is located relative to your position and altitude, and then LOOK OUTSIDE to visually identify the birds and take evasive action, you have already hit them or missed them.

ATC can sometimes see flocks of birds on their radar scopes, and give advisory info ("possible flock of birds crossing the final at 3 DME"). It is useful, and to me it is the max extent that Radar is capable of being helpful in identifying birds.

I turned my radar on once in a B727 and it caught on fire. I would rather chance a bird strike than be on fire so have never used wx radar since that day and only hit one bird. He died, we had a big blood patch above my window.

...By the time you see something on your radar and decide that the pattern you see is a bird flock, and then determine based on your tilt and gain settings...

Um, what we're talkin' about here is the emissions from the radar causing the birds to fly away from the path of the aircraft, not being heads down on a departure or arrivial looking for birds on the scope.

It has been studied and no correlation of bird behavior with radar has been found even using 100 kilowatt ground based radar systems.

http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/reprint/202/9/1015.pdf

Those Germans sure no how to name a radar system - "Superfledermaus"

Last edited:
No, just the MIA type but we were departing Managua so it may have had a bullet hole in it, I just didn't notice. It was in the early 90's so often wondered where their missing shoulder mounted missiles were flying over Nicaragua. Tried to make as steep an approach as I could just in case a teenager at some party didn't have one left over he wanted to try out. Since a 727 spends half of it's life in a climb couldn't do much to expedite the climb after takeoff. Our A300's going to Lima took some fire on approach. Understand they used helicopters to try to clear the approach for them during that era.

Latest resources

Back