• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WX Radar to avoid Birdstrike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, I was gonna ask you about the chicken wire in the tail pipe, but now I get it, it prevents overtaking birds from flying in there.

The other day, I saw an old 500 series with d- ice boots on the trailing edge, know anything about that?

AH, the ole "slowtation". the RJ of corporate jets.

When SWA started service into TPA many years ago one of our planes hit 2 Pelicans at 250Kts on downwind over Tampa Bay to 36L. One Pelican went into the front pressure bulkhead through the ray dome and the other hit right on the top of the Co Pilots window where it adjoined to the metal structure. The impact shattered the window but it held its integrity. They say if the bird had been about a foot lower on the windscreen he would most likely have died. Also if the Co Pilot wasnt wearing sun glasses he would have probably been blind. He had lacerations all over his upper body. The Cockpit door was closed and there was glass shardes 10 rows back on the floor after they landed. There weather radar wasnt on! That was enough of a visual for me to turn it on for every takeoff. Our company at the time highly recommended it! I persoanlly believe my bird strikes went from about 1 every other year to less than 1 in 5 years. YMMV

My professor at Riddle said that this technique is not effective anymore.

Are you referring to the technique called a "reach-around?" I thought that was on the entrance exams down at the venerated "Riddle."

-You are not foolin' anyone-we all know that you are aware of all this "technique's" virtues.

When SWA started service into TPA many years ago one of our planes hit 2 Pelicans at 250Kts on downwind over Tampa Bay to 36L. One Pelican went into the front pressure bulkhead through the ray dome and the other hit right on the top of the Co Pilots window where it adjoined to the metal structure. The impact shattered the window but it held its integrity. They say if the bird had been about a foot lower on the windscreen he would most likely have died. Also if the Co Pilot wasnt wearing sun glasses he would have probably been blind. He had lacerations all over his upper body. The Cockpit door was closed and there was glass shardes 10 rows back on the floor after they landed. There weather radar wasnt on! That was enough of a visual for me to turn it on for every takeoff. Our company at the time highly recommended it! I persoanlly believe my bird strikes went from about 1 every other year to less than 1 in 5 years. YMMV

So the bird lived...cool

You are hitting less birds due to global warming causing more male birds to be born and less females. Without the females to reproduce there are less birds, thus less strikes. I suggest you pay your carbon credits immediately and keep that radar on...

I have never hit an airline manager with the radar on, and I understand they are the most dangerous of all!

Latest resources

Back