• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Smoked Toilet

18 AT LAST!
I need an answer and a reg for the following situation:

Flying into LAX, you are outside of FUELR for the ILS 25L on the arrival, and the weather is below mins. ATC says "reaching FUELR cleared ILS 25L." Can you accept this clearance?

We all know we can't go past the final approach fix unless we have the weather, but can we accept a clearance to begin the approach?

Please respond with the reg!

Thx
ST

A) You are outside of the FAF (FUELR)

B) The Weather is below minimums

C) ATC will clear you - they don't know what YOUR OPSPEC minimums are.

Under part 121 and 135 you may not begin an approach if the weather is below minimums outside of the FAF.

I guess the question is really this. Can I continue past the IAF with with weather below mins for that approach? I know I can't go past the FAF, that is clearly stated in the FAR's, however where does it state I cannot go beyond the IAF.

The IAF is okey dokey no matter the WX. Regardless of what ATC tells you, you simply cannot proceed past the FAF with WX below mins. ONCE YOU ARE PAST THE FAF, you may continue the approach even if the WX does drop below mins (note "may", not "should").

We had a controller give us an RVR of 1000 right before the FAF once, and in the same breath cleared us for the approach. We told him we needed to hold for a minute for the vis, and his reply was, "oh just continue, it will come back up by the time you get here."

121.567 Instrument approach procedures and IFR landing minimums.

135.225 IFR: Takeoff, approach and landing minimums.

Well, I clicked on the link and read the reg. It only says you may not continue past the FAF if the mins aren't met. It doesn't say anything about the IAF. You may begin the approach, but you may not continue past the FAF if you don't have the min vis.

Now, whether or not it is smart to begin knowing that you don't have the mins is dependent on the situation and a variety of other factors.

If SOCAL is trying to give you an RVR update, try to hold off o. If you are handed off to tower, dont checking "outside fuler", justn responding until inside FULER. Just say blocked wait until you are inside. This should make things easier.

How about you just abide by the intent of the reg and don't shoot the approach if the wx is below mins? The guy that says 'blocked' at the FAF, pretending not to hear the RVR report, is the same guy ducking under at DH.

Latest resources

Back