Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Palerider957

Hard hitting, or pure propoganda?

I'd be very interested in finding out who was really funding this group.

It is obvious who is behind this web page. It is just mindnumbing, and disapointing, to me the number of laborers (that is all of us) that seem clueless to the abuses of corporate America. The larger a corporation gets the more political pull they buy. the mediators and Arbitrators that oversee our negotiations are owned buy these enormous corporate entities and corporate conglamorates.

that all said, we need to keep our union leaders in check also. Still, I am happy they, the unions, are here. the tables between corporate and labor are tilting and getting steeper by the day, without a little union push we would be in a world of hurt.

Palerider957 said:
Has anyone else seen these ads? It's pretty hard hitting stuff.

www.unionfacts.com

Hard hitting? I hope that was meant as a joke. Mr. Berman, the guy who creates and runs these ads which are funded by anti-labor corporations, is trying his best to swindle you. This is the same guy that thinks mercury in fish is ok for pregnant women to eat, smoking is good for you, and there shouldn't be a minimum wage at all. Yeah, sounds like a great source of information to me.

i just about guarantee, if the afl-cio and other labor groups put together enough cash, and handed it to this guy, he'd create a pro-labor, pro-union, corporate-america bashing website and newsletter just the same. and make it look just as fact-filled as his anti-union stuff!
organized labor isn't perfect, nor is any management team. simple reason is: they're both comprised of human beings, and nobody's perfect.

PCL 128

Obviously it's anti union, no sh1t. I have been a memeber of two unions, the Fraternal Order of Police, and ALPA. Neither did much for the guy who just went to work and did his job. Having said that, I carried the union card, paid my dues, and hung in there with my fellow workers.

FOP, like ALPA seems to spend a large part of their time defending the idiots of the work force, who constantly get their nuts in a twist. This always frustrated me. When I did need the union (for scheudling and duty time issues) I was usually told "well, we'll file a grieveance tomorrow." So I usually had to fly some half-baked trip, and a grievance would just fizzle out 12 months later.

I think ALPA/FOP and other unions have done some great things at times when laborers were treated little better than stray dogs, especially in safety sensitive industries. Somewhere along the way I think the true meaning of a "union" was lost. It was meant to protect workers, not bankrupt companies.

I'll catch a lot of heat on this board for saying this, but the unions like UAW, IBT, AFL-CIO have driven manufacturing costs beyond anyones wildest expectations. You wonder why companies are frantically outsourcing jobs overseas? Doesn't it make sense to send jobs overseas when you can have the same piece work done for a fraction of the costs? What would you do?

GM and Adelphi are only the tip of the ice berg. These workers were mostly classified as "unskilled" labor--that's what there exact job description stated, "unskilled." And yet these people made a killing, much more than the average RJ Captain. They had two weeks off at X-mas, two weeks off during the summer for plant maint. and normal vacation time as well. Back in the mid 90's they averaged over $70K/yr with incredible benefits....is this sustainable? Be honest, what are these jobs really worth? The unions became so strong that the companies were paralyzed, and afraid to tell them no. I saw all of this first hand, and up close.

Before concessions the average GM worker only paid 7% of their health care costs, GM exec pays 27%, and average American worker pays 35%+....again, is this sustainable? Someone has to pay for all of the health care costs, if not the workers, then it will be you when the product they sell is priced.

Your tag line, "Labor is superior to capital and deserves much higher consideration." Think about that....if labor had substantial capital, they wouldn't be labor! We work to create "capital," that's why you drag yourself into work every day.

I remeber the Safeway (I think) strike in California a couple of years ago. Senior cashiers made $25/hr., and wanted MORE....plus retirement and a full benefits package. Absurd. The majority of these stores simply closed and put these people on the streets.

I support ASA pilots completely and hope they get a good contract. I worry about those who see the union as the absolute answer to problems in the industry.

Flame away...........

Palerider957 said:
PCL 128

GM and Adelphi are only the tip of the ice berg. These workers were mostly classified as "unskilled" labor--that's what there exact job description stated, "unskilled."

Speaking of unskilled labor....You oughta come watch my next checkride.

:laugh:

Soverytired said:
Unions suck hard, management sucks harder.

Best to just be born with a trust fund, invent a new computer operating system, or win the powerball so you can tell the world to go "f" itself.

Best Quote in quite a while. You win.

Latest resources

Back