www.unionfacts.com

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Soverytired said:
Unions suck hard, management sucks harder.

Best to just be born with a trust fund, invent a new computer operating system, or win the powerball so you can tell the world to go "f" itself.

Or, start your own business and be your own boss.

Ya know I've seen it through the years. Unions are failing to do what they promise and keep caving in to managements that are getting bigger and CEO's that rob companies with thier golden parachutes.

The whole business thing in this country is corrupt-management, unions, everything...

belchfire said:
Ya know I've seen it through the years. Unions are failing to do what they promise and keep caving in to managements that are getting bigger and CEO's that rob companies with thier golden parachutes.

The whole business thing in this country is corrupt-management, unions, everything...

Show me a union contract the membership didn't ratify.

This is like landing in a 50 knot crosswind and complaining that the tower cleared you to do it.

The blame rests squarely with the voting members.

PCL_128 said:
Hard hitting? I hope that was meant as a joke. Mr. Berman, the guy who creates and runs these ads which are funded by anti-labor corporations, is trying his best to swindle you. This is the same guy that thinks mercury in fish is ok for pregnant women to eat, smoking is good for you, and there shouldn't be a minimum wage at all. Yeah, sounds like a great source of information to me.

Here is some more good information for those of you still stuck at the commuters! Protect your jobs, my friends!

http://www.rjdefense.com/

Palerider957 said:
Obviously it's anti union, no sh1t. I have been a memeber of two unions, the Fraternal Order of Police, and ALPA. Neither did much for the guy who just went to work and did his job. Having said that, I carried the union card, paid my dues, and hung in there with my fellow workers.

Maybe that is why they could just come to work and do thier job. Because the union cut a path and block management from making the job difficult.

Maybe I don't the police. I mean, I just live my life. I've never been a victim of a felony crime. or maybe I've never been a victim cause the police do a good job....like your union.

Palerider957 said:
FOP, like ALPA seems to spend a large part of their time defending the idiots of the work force, who constantly get their nuts in a twist. This always frustrated me. When I did need the union (for scheudling and duty time issues) I was usually told "well, we'll file a grieveance tomorrow." So I usually had to fly some half-baked trip, and a grievance would just fizzle out 12 months later.

Well, if the union doesn't protect idiots then the company will go after the next smarter guy. Which may or may not be you. Protecting the idiot protects you. Besides even the smart guys can do dumb things..

When you think the CBA has been violated, a pilot goes to his supervisor firsts. Then the union. The grievance process is basic to workers rights. IF it isn't working for you then get involved...

Palerider957 said:
I think ALPA/FOP and other unions have done some great things at times when laborers were treated little better than stray dogs, especially in safety sensitive industries. Somewhere along the way I think the true meaning of a "union" was lost. It was meant to protect workers, not bankrupt companies.

Wrong. How can unions bankrupt companies. Management agreed to the labor contracts. Put the responsibility where it lies.....

Palerider957 said:
I'll catch a lot of heat on this board for saying this, but the unions like UAW, IBT, AFL-CIO have driven manufacturing costs beyond anyones wildest expectations. You wonder why companies are frantically outsourcing jobs overseas? Doesn't it make sense to send jobs overseas when you can have the same piece work done for a fraction of the costs? What would you do?

CEO compensation is up 800%.

Palerider957 said:
GM and Adelphi are only the tip of the ice berg. These workers were mostly classified as "unskilled" labor--that's what there exact job description stated, "unskilled." And yet these people made a killing, much more than the average RJ Captain. They had two weeks off at X-mas, two weeks off during the summer for plant maint. and normal vacation time as well. Back in the mid 90's they averaged over $70K/yr with incredible benefits....is this sustainable? Be honest, what are these jobs really worth? The unions became so strong that the companies were paralyzed, and afraid to tell them no. I saw all of this first hand, and up close.

Tell them no? I thought they were outsourcing and offering buy out packages. Yeah it is the unions fault...cause unions run companies.

Palerider957 said:
Before concessions the average GM worker only paid 7% of their health care costs, GM exec pays 27%, and average American worker pays 35%+....again, is this sustainable? Someone has to pay for all of the health care costs, if not the workers, then it will be you when the product they sell is priced.

Maybe it has to do with a total dynamic of our culture. We all want more... and someone is going to pay for it...

Palerider957 said:
Your tag line, "Labor is superior to capital and deserves much higher consideration." Think about that....if labor had substantial capital, they wouldn't be labor! We work to create "capital," that's why you drag yourself into work every day.

Huh? It has to do with productivity and that is a function of management. Blame management for accepting contracts that were too costly. I mean who is in charge. and how do you expect a union to take the high road? Is there enough trust that they won't be taken for granted?

Palerider957 said:
I remeber the Safeway (I think) strike in California a couple of years ago. Senior cashiers made $25/hr., and wanted MORE....plus retirement and a full benefits package. Absurd. The majority of these stores simply closed and put these people on the streets.

What is the cost of living in Cali? Maybe there are people that think you make too much. You proabably do...how absurd.... Perhaps you should have intergirty and volunteer a paycut.

Palerider957 said:
I support ASA pilots completely and hope they get a good contract. I worry about those who see the union as the absolute answer to problems in the industry.

Flame away...........

It is not black and white. Unions are a resource. How well you use it is up to you. Don't forget to vote.

p.s. When dealing with management there is no voting. Only unilateral application of policy.

federico said:
PCL 128 Dude your my heroe. See ya around the grapevine soon

You back in the states or still flying around China?

Latest resources

Back