• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WSJ: Pilots Fail to Engage Jet Engines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you can't remember to start your engines and can't figure it out prior to taking the runway then maybe you are in the wrong line of work.

It's called Airline Management!

At least in the CRJ2, with one engine still shut, you should have 3 msgs. 1 master warning for OIL PRESS, and 2 cautions for fuel pump and fuel low press. And you shouldn't have a "TO CONFIG OK" advisory message. If all that STILL doesn't catch your attention, then there is something seriously wrong with you. Fatigue, incompetence, complacent, etc.

Per checklist (and common sense really) you're supposed to check the engine parameters on the EICAS. Oil temp, before taking the runway is a big issue on the ERJ and/or Trans States and always a favorite oral question. Parameters not being in the green are boxed red. Those two pilots in question are management and senior pilot/check airman/former management so I don't buy fatigue. It'll be really interesting to get a copy of that CVR recording. Knowing both Trans States and STL FSDO that has been made unavailable*.

* yes, it's illegal to use the CVR, but that doesn't mean Trans States or the FAA doesn't listen to it when they want to.

Last edited:
Having a procedure to remind you to start the engines is like having a procedure to remind you which way to move the yoke to flare.

If you can't remember to start your engines and can't figure it out prior to taking the runway then maybe you are in the wrong line of work.

I agree. Pretty soon these guys will be doing things to remind themselves to take a piss.

I am flying with more and more FO's that seem to have the attitude that checklists are for wimps. I can see that if I didn't call for them they would not do them or question me.

For instance "trim and takeoff speeds checked" without even looking at them! I have to constantly tell them to ACTUALLY check, not just verbalize from memory.

Most of these guys have a "I am superpilot" mentality.

But as soon as red lights start to flash, they look like deer in the headlights.

Thank God for super captains like yourself

Thank God for super captains like yourself

All I am asking is for you to do your job. The right way.

I am no superpilot. I just get blamed for not catching all of "our" mistakes. It would be nice if some FO's would help out a LITTLE and take some ownership of the flight.

Many can't be bothered.

I was following an NWA DC-9 into Fargo a few months ago and witnessed the following:
Fargo Approach: "Northwest XXX, say speed."
NWA: "310 knots."
Fargo Approach: "You need to be at 250 knots or less below 10,000 sir."
NWA: "Ah... Roger..."

The good thing about this is we didn't have to slow down or take vectors for spacing :laugh:

Heard one like that smoothly handled by Approach ATC:

MIA APP: JET XYZ say speed

JET XYZ: 250Kts

MIA APP: Ok, slow to 200Kts, Your 250Kts is 50Kts faster than everybody else :D

A good trick is to never set the flaps for takeoff until both engines are running. Not only is this a good way to remind yourself the engine isn't running, but also you'll get the "Takeoff... Flaps" warning and will remind you that you didn't set them for a reason.

Or you could just use the g*dd#mn checklist!

Latest resources

Back