• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Write in about the TSA LASP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I forgot to mention that there are several meetings being held also.

The TSA will be holding a series of public meetings to hear how the proposed rule will impact GA. The meetings – which will each begin at 9 a.m. local time (with registration starting at 8 a.m. local time) – will be held at the following locations:
White Plains, NY, Jan. 6, 2009: Westchester County Airport (HPN), Building 1 Airport Road, White Plains, NY 10604
Atlanta, GA, Jan. 8, 2009: Renaissance Concourse Hotel Atlanta Airport, One Hartsfield Centre Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30354
Chicago, IL, Jan. 16, 2009: Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare Hotel & Convention Center, 5440 North River Road, Rosemont, IL 60018
Burbank, CA, Jan. 23, 2009: Burbank Airport Marriot Hotel & Convention Center, 2500 North Hollywood Way, Burbank, CA 91505
Houston, TX, Jan. 28, 2009: Hilton Houston Hotel-North Greenspoint Conference Center, 12400 Greenspoint Drive, Houston, TX 77060
Each speaker will be allowed three minutes to explain to TSA the impact of this rule. A representative from AOPA will be attending each of the meetings to be on hand to discuss this proposal with members.

I am thinking of a small single aircraft mom and pop charter outfit flying a be-350 or say a CJ4 or even a private owner(if that applies) That is a buch of bs. Now if the government pays for the backgound checks and passenger info for free...Still not a good.

I see your point. In the big picture it is all in the price of doing business. If you are a charter outfit, then move the price on to the customer. No one says you have to eat the cost. I don't know if it is a 91 requirement, but if it is it you probably do not have to do it everytime. You probably fly the same people around most of the time. Maybe your company has already done the checks on these people when they were hired and you can use that.

AOPA is a great group. I am a member myself, but sometimes, like all media outfits, they go on their little crusades. I think this maybe one of them.

It is aimed DIRECTLY at Part 91 and it WILL have to be done for EVERY flight. Every flight department (1 airplane, 10 airplanes, 100 airplanes over 12.5 K lbs) would have to name a "Security Officer," develop a TSA approved security program and HIRE an OUTSIDE AUDITER EVERY YEAR to review the security program.

When you get in your car (or your Ryder Rental Truck if you remember the Murrah Building), do you have to jump through dozens of useless and expensive hoops to do so? I didn't think so. Getting in your own airplane should be no different than driving your car in terms of ease of access.

The LASP is partly intended to help destroy the corporate aviation industry but it is mainly just another prime example of a federal government run amok.

as far as customer inconvenience we do this at my place of work, we are a 135. it is basically up to the captain to conduct the searches. they never get done. it is basically paperwork once a year. pretty pointless if you ask me.

If you voted for King George III you have no one but yourself to blame.

This monstrosity is a direct fault of the Bush Administration. Only 12 more days to go before we are done with him.

If you voted for King George III you have no one but yourself to blame.

This monstrosity is a direct fault of the Bush Administration. Only 12 more days to go before we are done with him.

Amen to all of that! I've been asking: "Is it Jan 20th yet?" for 2 months now.

If this new TSA nightmare gets put into place as is, we will loose many customers and owners and all for no gain in security what so ever.

Quit talking and start reading

Seriously people. You are all talking about something you haven't read. Here are some examples of how corporate aviation in this country will end if this LASP becomes law:

1. The prohibited items list (80+ items and increasing everyday) will not be allowed in aircraft without external baggage. No golf clubs on the Gulfstream. No shaving cream... You get the idea?

What about the crash axe? It's not allowed on board so the aircraft is grounded. Want to fly over water? No life rafts on board (Flares are mentioned twice as being prohibited).

2. Several Chief pilots stated during the ATL comment session, that their costs (part 91) of compliance would be more the $150,000 per year. How many people are going to shut down their departments faced with that cost?

3. Do we really want the federal government giving our top business leaders permission to travel? This is a clear civil liberties infringement. It is no different than having to call your local "agency" to get permission before you get in your car and drive to work. These are PRIVATE modes of transportation, not public.

4. The costs to airports for compliance will be in the millions of dollars. Most of the smaller airports in the country will close.

So, what about the danger you say. What danger? How is a 12,500 pound aircraft with passengers KNOWN to the crew dangerous? How about a J-3 flown by a terrorist with a nuclear bomb? What does that weigh?

And if your sitting their thinking this is going to be great for the fractionals, think again. It's a disaster for the entire industry. Airframers, support people, FBOs - will all go out of business. Tens of thousands of people will lose their jobs.

Don't take my word for it, READ THE NPRM! UNDERSTAND IT!

Write your congressman. GET INVOLVED!!

BTW, the best part... This only applies to US registered aircraft. Foreign are not included. How many of the 9-11 terrorists were US citizens?

TT

Absolutely correct on all counts. As one item I read this morning pointed out, this may be a bigger threat and will hopefully draw even more ire than user fees.

Don't let this happen people.

A bigger issue is Barney Frank's legislation that would require all companies htat received TARP funds divest themselves of their private a/c.

Announced this morning and is retroactive so it includes JP Morgan, Citi, Bank of America, etc.

The one out is if they give back the TARP funds.

Latest resources

Back