• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Wow, Delta's Earnings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The truth is that regionals were traditionally "stepping-stones," to bigger and better things -- build your time and move on. Then 9-11 came, and legacy managements took the opportunity to eviscerate scope and hand the lower-end of mainline flying to the lowest bidder.

Recently, due to improved collective-bargaining power and the higher cost of jet fuel the trend is moving back towards mainline flying -- and larger but fewer RJ's (and outsourced jobs.) Those are the facts. No animus, nothing personal, no "vengeance" against Comair. Simple economics. Anyone who thought this day would never come, and subsequently planned on a career at a regional (and committing financially to that plan) are now SOL.

BTW, you are never too old to start over at a legacy.

My career is well encompassed in this statement... ASA as a stepping stone, went to American just before 9/11.... bounced between 5 jobs from '01 to '11 due to BKs, furloughs and the like... and now finally at a Legacy and happy to be here in my mid 40's... I hope the tide has turned, and we can rebuild our contracts/pay.. time will tell.

Everything happening is as a result of your actions, you are enabling, the process. You have choices, unfortunately picking the wrong ones seem to be habit. Your incessant whining about your situation, which you are wholly responsible for is predictable. You are really the problem, not the DAL guy, except, Genny Pee, but he isn't really a pilot, just a fanboy.

DALPA are SELLOUTS -

This isn't news- they CONTINUALLY VOTE TO keep a large section of their pilots off their seniority list and whipsawed against each other.

Mainline has the vote. They're the only ones who have the power to change the situation- yet what did you do? Sold out more -900's. a more "economically viable RJ"

Sellout so much and there will be those who will need to make a career out of regionals- dont keep moving the target, setting up barriers to the mainline job that you didn't have and say "don't worry buddy, you'll get there!"

Every two 90 seaters out there is an airbus delta doesn't need

The truth is that regionals were traditionally "stepping-stones," to bigger and better things -- build your time and move on. Then 9-11 came, and legacy managements took the opportunity to eviscerate scope and hand the lower-end of mainline flying to the lowest bidder.

Recently, due to improved collective-bargaining power and the higher cost of jet fuel the trend is moving back towards mainline flying -- and larger but fewer RJ's (and outsourced jobs.) Those are the facts. No animus, nothing personal, no "vengeance" against Comair. Simple economics. Anyone who thought this day would never come, and subsequently planned on a career at a regional (and committing financially to that plan) are now SOL.

BTW, you are never too old to start over at a legacy.

That said, I agree with this^^^

Never make a career out of a regional without knowing you might be starting over regardless- do it if you want, but it isn't without risk-

And it's not simple Econ- it's diabolical Econ- any regional gets too solid- they'll be spooled down and another spooled up- that's what mainline pilots vote for - continual whipsaw of a big section of their pilots

DALPA are SELLOUTS -

This isn't news- they CONTINUALLY VOTE TO keep a large section of their pilots off their seniority list and whipsawed against each other.

Mainline has the vote. They're the only ones who have the power to change the situation- yet what did you do? Sold out more -900's. a more "economically viable RJ"

Sellout so much and there will be those who will need to make a career out of regionals- dont keep moving the target, setting up barriers to the mmainline job that you didn't have and say "don't worry buddy, you'll get there!"

Wavey continually misses a few points. Number 1, you can't get rid of all the RJs at once. This contract states there will be 140 fewer RJs in total, which in reality is a darn good start. 315 50 seaters had solid leases through 2015, and now many of those will be gone sooner. Next, mainline planes can't make money on every route. Look, SWA is dumping 717s and 17 city pairs because they determined they wouldn't make money. Dothan, AL wouldn't be profitable on a mainline plane. And, he calls them 90 seaters. They may be designed to hold that many, but the limit is 76 seats. The plan to bring 88 717s in and bump 76 and 70 seaters down to cover existing 50 seat routes, to try to make them more profitable. That means mainline is recapturing previous routes that were handed to DCI. Those 717s bring mainline back, and SWA is funding that. Thanks.

And at the same time newhire payrates continue to climb. I believe DL's rates are $61 an hour starting in Jan, and $71 an hour in Jan of 2015. That's better than the other two legacies by $20 an hour, and you don't have to pay for your own type rating. Imagine that!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Wavey continually misses a few points. Number 1, you can't get rid of all the RJs at once. This contract states there will be 140 fewer RJs in total, which in reality is a darn good start. 315 50 seaters had solid leases through 2015, and now many of those will be gone sooner. Next, mainline planes can't make money on every route. Look, SWA is dumping 717s and 17 city pairs because they determined they wouldn't make money. Dothan, AL wouldn't be profitable on a mainline plane. And, he calls them 90 seaters. They may be designed to hold that many, but the limit is 76 seats. The plan to bring 88 717s in and bump 76 and 70 seaters down to cover existing 50 seat routes, to try to make them more profitable. That means mainline is recapturing previous routes that were handed to DCI. Those 717s bring mainline back, and SWA is funding that. Thanks.

And at the same time newhire payrates continue to climb. I believe DL's rates are $61 an hour starting in Jan, and $71 an hour in Jan of 2015. That's better than the other two legacies by $20 an hour, and you don't have to pay for your own type rating. Imagine that!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Congrats on the earnings. We're playing catch up (both company earnings and pilot pay), but I'm optimistic about the future.

Congrats on the earnings. We're playing catch up (both company earnings and pilot pay), but I'm optimistic about the future.

I hope you guys do catch up, and I hope your NIC award is implemented prior to your SLI with AA. It is the fair and right thing to do. Good luck.

Bye Bye---General Lee

DALPA are SELLOUTS -

Sellout so much and there will be those who will need to make a career out of regionals- dont keep moving the target, setting up barriers to the mainline job that you didn't have and say "don't worry buddy, you'll get there!"

Hey pft troll. Um, DL is getting ready to hire this fall, while I hear you tools are overstaffed by almost 400 pilots. Better update that app. Don't worry though toolbag, you won't have to pay for your job at DL. You can swing gear for me any time. But for now, you can just continue to do it for the AT pilot who didn't have to buy his/her job.

Bill Lumberg's big pay cut, Bill Lumberg's furlough, Bill Lumberg's pension, Bill Lumberg's Comair........ Who is the biggest whiner on this website??? Bill Lumberg! If you don't like your job at Delta quit! Guess what Bill Lumberg every one had all those things happen to them. The difference between you and all the people stuck at the regionals is birth date. You had the opportunity XJ did not.

Twisted Mind? Really?

Somebody didn't hug you or something growing up?

Do tell these opportunities I have had?
I have luckily never been furloughed but did lose my pension.....but love my job!! I don't blame other people for my life's choices. Nothings fair, Then again, I am dealing with people like you and XJ who are part of the problem with this world, who want it all handed to them and then when it doesn't pan out, blame somebody else.

Nice hit and run Twisted....so hike up your skirt and join the debate instead of calling somebody a whiner (ooooOOooooo) or PM me if you are scared. This oughta be good!

Latest resources

Back