• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you.......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Of course I would do it all again. I cant imagine growing up dreaming of flying and doing something else willingly!

This job is incredibly easy. It's like getting paid money for enjoying a hobby.

Mind-numbingly easy sometimes. I tend to look at getting paid to fly for an airline is like being compensated for being bored. That's work, not a hobby.

-Goose

Really? Total lack of control? Come on.

Not such BIG differences after all.

W
Yes, they may work harder Dubya. But hardwork does pay off. My former college room mate just transferred companies in October because he nogotiated himself better pay and benefits with a new company. Don't get me wrong, if I had a trust fund, flying would be my Job of Choice.

Ok I'm still new to aviation but have a decent amount of sources in the industry. They all can agree that times are crap now one of which is without a job albeit hes 62 and made more than enough in aviation to retire but.... The others tend to agree on this. There will be a shortage of pilots. Lets look at it mathematically. I've spent lots of money on flying way to much. Many people are not as lucky as me to be able to do this. The number of student pilots going in thinking they want to do this as a career is less and less each year. Continental's pilot group apparantly from what I'm told is a much older pilot group than the other majors. Age 65 delayed the inevitable the mass retirements of the baby boomers. There is no denying those facts. Will we see a pilot shortage? Right now? Of course not. In 3-4 years? I think so. Maybe I'm being optimistic, and I'm not banking on it happening that way I won't be upset when it takes me years to make it to the airlines. But I sure can hope and pray there is one!

What other line of work can someone like me make over $150,000 a year (still an F/O) with just a high school diploma.

Try drug dealing, sell crack! You don't even need a high school diploma for that one!

Once you're furloughed, that high school degree won't get you far.

Try drug dealing, sell crack! You don't even need a high school diploma for that one!

Yeah but you'd do MUCH better on the street with an MBA to be totally honest.

Also you'd probably be less likely to spend the money on 48" rims too...

Lynxpilot

I agree with you that there is going to be a mass exodus of pilots in about the next 3-4 years. I doubt this will cause the extreme pilot shortage everyone talks about. You are right that you have to either come from well off means or have loads of debt to afford all the flight training in this day and age. However 1-2 years ago when we where starting to see what a pilot shortage might do, management just kept lowering and lowering the minimum flight experience until some of the lower tier airlines only required your commercial. This in many cases greatly reduced the cost and time it took to make it to the airlines. Management is smart and know that not only could a severe pilot shortage happen but also how much leverage it would give pilot groups. For this reason they will do all it take to mitigate one including ab initio. Although I hope that I am wrong on this matter history shows that a pilot shortage brings about lower and lower quilifications for pilots until all you will need is a GED to become one.

Lynxpilot

I agree with you that there is going to be a mass exodus of pilots in about the next 3-4 years. I doubt this will cause the extreme pilot shortage everyone talks about. You are right that you have to either come from well off means or have loads of debt to afford all the flight training in this day and age. However 1-2 years ago when we where starting to see what a pilot shortage might do, management just kept lowering and lowering the minimum flight experience until some of the lower tier airlines only required your commercial. This in many cases greatly reduced the cost and time it took to make it to the airlines. Management is smart and know that not only could a severe pilot shortage happen but also how much leverage it would give pilot groups. For this reason they will do all it take to mitigate one including ab initio. Although I hope that I am wrong on this matter history shows that a pilot shortage brings about lower and lower quilifications for pilots until all you will need is a GED to become one.

Yup! And after that they will start pushing hard for the "Multi Crew" pilot license and if that doesn't solve the shortage problem they will pursue unmanned flight. It's not gonna happen tomorrow but it's comming. Of course the most automated, sophisiticated, bad a$$ computer/autopilot in the world will never be able to do what Capt Sully just did.

Latest resources

Back