Would you...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Skaff

Hey there, I'm looking for a little help...please leave the sarcasm at the door. I'm currently flying RJ's for a regional right now, I enjoy what I do and I like the company that I work for. I work hard and I work a lot, but I'll make over $100,000 this year again. What I'm wondering is, knowing what you know now...and if you were in a position to apply for a major or legacy, would you choose to work where you're currently working. I see so many pickets and flyers that tell about poor management that I would like to get info from the inside before I apply. I would like to hear specifically from United and Northwest guys, but all please feel free to answer.

I'll be honest here. YES. I loved the regional I worked for. I loved AirTran, but I love my current job even more(Continental). That being said, I hate a lot of things about our contract. I chose to gripe about them from time to time on this board and the private Continental board. Many on here do the same with their airlines. What you get from it must seem like a lot of angry major airline pilots. In reality, you have a lot of guys frustrated about the current state of their airline and or the industry.
Ask just about every one of the guys you see on this site complaining about their respective major airline if he/she would go back to the regional they previously flew for and you will get a resounding "no". I am in no way trying to belittle regional pilots as I was one and loved the experience. I just think most of us got into this to end up flying the big iron to places far from home with nice hot meals served by fun flight attendants that you hang out with on long layovers. This can still happen at the majors. Trust me. Let's address the two airlines you are interested in:

United: Hiring and expect movement over the next few years and possible new aircraft order in the next 5 years. Route map is impressive and you will probably get a chance to fly the 747. What else can you say? Don't concentrate on the current work rules and pay rates as those will change for the better.

Northwest: Hiring 40 a month beginning in October. 747's brand new A-330's and orders for the 787. You get the chance to start your career on one hell of an aircraft(DC-9) that you will enjoy flying and will be the basis for comparison for all the aircraft you fly for the rest of your career. They have 5th freedom rights most other carriers only dream about and will thus spring back from the current negative state they operate in. Probably more movement as far as retirements over the next 10 years as well. I like NWA for the long haul.

Delta is hiring and they give you the opportunity to fly widebodies domestically very quickly. That is just about as good as it gets. Lots of Europe flying and strong domestic network combined with new aircraft comming and more to be ordered. I think the General said they are ordering 800 787's or something.. Seriously, a great choice should you be lucky enough to get an interview.

Continental has been discussed a lot on this board. where else can someone on property less than 2 years hold captain at a major? It is only a brief opportunity for a lucky few who made it on at a certain time when mandatory retirements forced guys off the list. Continental is a great airline that will improve the working conditions very soon for pilots.

In summary, I really think that you will be happy leaving your regional(as happy as you are) and taking the leap. You didn't get into this business to stay there for a career. Get on now while the carriers are turning themselves around and reap the benefits in a few years when others are finally realizing that the traditional carriers are still the best bet.

my .02 cents.

IAHERJ

Last edited:
I will be staying at a regional until I get on with a company like FedEx or UPS. Maybe even Southwest.

No thanks for CAL. And I'm not so sure about UAL after researching it over there.

Fuselage envy is incurable. Stability, time with the family and pay are all that matters.

Gup

Your first few words says it all, you work hard to make $$. Wouldnt you rather not work hard to make money? At a regional you will always have to.

I work hard and I work a lot, but I'll make over $100,000 this year again.

Congrats... but that'd put you just above the public assistance line for a family of four in my neck of the woods. Most of our firefighters earn more annually and retire at 50 with 90% of their salaries and 100% medical for life. Times have changed, but pilot salaries have not.

Not a slam on you... just some perspective.

BBB

No thanks for CAL. And I'm not so sure about UAL after researching it over there.

Originally Posted by Pocono Pilot
I agree.

With all the retirements, CAL could be the most secure major out there. Also, there is a good chance that CAL will be the highest paid eventually with a new contract.

I hope to be there soon.

Last edited:
I will be staying at a regional until I get on with a company like FedEx or UPS. Maybe even Southwest.

True flavor of the week statement. I bet you were not saying that in 99 when these three were at the bottom. The only constant is change in contracts and airlines.

I have a feeling you'll be at a regional for a very long time fatty.

Latest resources

Back