• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you trade me?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kinda makes you think. Why all these guys hate the job why there doesnt seem to be a pilots shortage???

PS... I do love flying too, I was just trying to be funny. I don't hate being a pilot but it is not easy. I am in a furlough right now but it happens and if you pursue this dream than it can and probably will happen to you too. I am still very young and have a masters degree in engineering and I am still trying to find work as a pilot when I could be making a good living staring at a computer all day long (sick!). They are right, the important thing here is if your wife supports you in this. I am sure there are many guys around here that can tell you what could happen if she doesn't fully understand how this industry works. Having starry eyes of being a 777 captain is like a city league football player dreaming of winning a super bowl, not many will make it but there are those who do. Then there are 777 captains that probably complain about hating their job too.... anyway, what do I know?

Dude-

I feel you, bro. NO ONE was more passionate about aviation than me. I absolutely ate it up! It was pretty much all I dreamed about, and all I spent my money on-for many years.

Eventually, I got a job flying a jet, and it was a a real thrill at first, but things do change.

-First-I realized I was attracted to general aviation-I have always thought the people who fly g.a. planes are great to hang out with-you meet some real fun people! I will never regret a single second I spent hanging out at my local airport, or sweating my balls off washing and waxing planes in exchange for flying time-those were truly wonderful times!

-Second-I was flying when I wanted to fly-not when stuff was really dangerous and draining (it is not always cool to be flying in nasty weather or when crap starts to blow up on the plane.). The best part about aviation is being able to go on sightseeing excursions. I would love to be able to afford to take friends and family up again one day (something which I have not been able to afford to do since getting a "real flying job."

-Third-As much as I loved aviation, I HATE repetition. You end up flying 10 or 20 or 30 thousand hours flying EXACTLY the same flight over and over and over and over. Things change a little from time to time, but the monotony can really wear. After a while it turns into another job-while I do not "hate" the job (and I have had other ones which I truly hated,) I can see that all jobs have their downside-and no matter how much passion you have when you begin, there is no escaping that fact.

-Honestly-If I knew then what I know now, I would not have gone after a professional flying job. I would have gone after a career which would afford me the opportunity to fly for fun, not for pay. The career today ain't a shadow of what it used to be- the pay is much lower, the liability is much higher, and stuff happens. (this ain't exactly as safe as sitting in your living room-no matter what size airliner you operate.)

-I say this with the full knowledge of what you are feeling-I absolutely know where you are coming from. No one could have talked me out of it at the time either, but in all truth I call tell you-the best flying you will ever do (and the most interesting people you will ever do it with) occurs in General Aviation.

-Get a job which pays well and blow off your stress in your own private airplane. You will be richer and happier in the long run.

-I do truly wish you the very best-but life is not a job, it is much bigger.

-Happiness never really comes from what you do for a living-it comes from what that job allows you to do for fun. (Plenty of guys around here have never figured that out.)

Last edited:
This being a seniority based industry, timing is everything. And right now is a bad time, for the airlines.

There are other flying careers, but most are also in the crapper. No easy answer here.

I guess if you started getting the ratings now, you could be in a good position when the hiring starts in about three years. If you can live on your wife's income and suck up life on reserve and maybe commuting to work...that's a lot of ifs!!!

If you already live where you think you might get a job, that is a huge plus.

But I do know where you're coming from. I couldn't do anything but fly for a living...and I mean REALLY couldn't. I am a one-trick pony who sort've got the timing right. Sort've, because I'm stuck at the regionals.

Know this-it will take you years to get back to what you're making now.

Keep enjoying your flying hobby. Don't make it your career, it only ruins a good hobby. You don't know how lucky you are to be able to make a comfortable living and be home every night with your wife and baby. (Married, 28 with an eight month old).

SOLID advice by all- Even the comment about my wife! She's smokin, is the baby yours?

I respect each one of you for the work you do each day, I respect you even more for the advice you give.

Looks like I need to suck it up as a man.

For that, a tall boy is on me anytime your in SAT. I mean that.

My Gpa, a former 1980's Continental left seat, keeps telling me. "The real joy is finding a job that lands you in the back seat of a Falcon not the front."

My admiration goes out to your profession. Ill always be looking up.

Cheers

:beer:

Last edited:
Do what you want to do, not what pays the most. If you are in aviation (or anything in life) for the money, you are an idiot.

Bob

I feel your pain. I worked almost fifteen years in retail and finally hit the magic six figures right when I left to be an airline pilot. I have yet to make the same amount of money but, I'm close and I enjoy life a lot more. I'm not home every night, but when I am, I can actually relax because I am off duty. As a retail manager I was never really off duty. I remember getting nervous during the last three days of my honeymoon. I was wondering what fires I would have to put out at work. Now, when I am off, I am OFF. It's amazing how much less stress I have in this career. In retail, I might have been home, but I ate dinner and went to bed. Was I really AT home? Now every weekend is a three or four day affair,(and I'm relaxed). That never happened in retail. My wife only gets three days off in a row on a few national holidays. I get them several times and more every month. I love it, but not everyone does. You have to find what you like.

Good luck!

P.S. If you go the flying route don't jump at any job. Take one that works for you. Be patient!

I'm slightly biased, as I live in base, but there has never been a day where I'd want to switch my job away from being an airline pilot. I complain once in a while just like everyone else. But after a few days off, I'm excited to go back to work. This job isn't for everyone...but it beats most other jobs ANY day of the week. If this is your passion, and you accept the rough parts of the job, go for it.

Latest resources

Back