Would you trade me?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hardball

First time poster long time reader. And yes, I’ve used the search function.

Ill keep it short and simple so I don’t waste your time.

I’m 26, married, with a 7 month old baby girl who is my world.
126 hours with an instrument. Wife makes just over $50,000 and I make just under $70,000 in retail management. I’m home every day by 7pm. 2 days off in a row but it's a job and career I absolutely hate.

BUT......Not a day goes by in the last 4 years where I look up and wish that was my office. Past posts from here have kept me from doing it. Most here seem to say the profession is dying.

My question to you is, would you trade me? Should I just suck it up, be a man and provide for my family in a job I hate?

Or go on, pursue my passion? Do I really have a decent chance at making a decent living and enjoying my career?

Tear me to shreds flightinfo

Suck it up, be a man and provide for my family in a job I hate?

At least for now. Find something else you'll love instead of the airline route, like corporate or something.

Congrats on the new edition by the way!

Well..... I am on furlough so I will trade you my 238 dollar a week unemployment check and walking door to door at Fort Lauderdale executive airport handing out resumes to anyone with a pulse for your 70K any day.... but not before I get you to answer one question first: Is your wife hot? I'll stick with my $238 if she isn't.

I know exactly what you mean about looking skyward, but you could end up hating a flying job just as much as your current one. Honestly the most fun I've had in aviation was working on my private.

In my opinion now is one of the worst times ever to be getting into flying for a career. There are huge numbers of furloughed or downsized pilots on the street, pending legislation that could make qualifying for a job more difficult, and the economic downturn has companies cutting costs everywhere.

You can always keep working on getting your ratings and building time and see what happens to the aviation job market. The last three people I know who have gone through flight training recently are unemployed (at least not employed in aviation), in massive debt, and wish they had chosen to keep the careers they had and fly for fun.

I truly hope this helps, and wish you luck in whatever you decide.

Go get hired by a regional...if they were hiring. Give it about a year and you'll hate that job as well.
You might as well get paid a livable wage, be home every night. Instead of living off food stamps, gone 22 nights a month and still hate your job.

Go get hired by a regional...if they were hiring. Give it about a year and you'll hate that job as well.
You might as well get paid a livable wage, be home every night. Instead of living off food stamps, gone 22 nights a month and still hate your job.

BS. Only those who got into this job for the wrong reasons hate their jobs.

Enjoy your income, your baby, and your wife and go fly for fun. You will have the perfect life.

Save as much money as you can as a back up. Go for your dream. If not you'll never forgive yourself. I love this job. It has it's moments, but what job doesn't. There are times that I don't want to be on the road, don't want to be broken or delayed, and some holidays are missed. As long as your wife supports you pursuing your dream I say go for it. And don't let the crabby, negative jerks on here tell you otherwise!

And no I won't trade you, but I'll gladly buy you a beer on an overnight some day :beer:

Last edited:
Save as much money as you can as a back up. Go for your dream. If not you'll never forgive yourself. I love this job. It has it's moments, but what job doesn't. There are times that I don't want to be on the road, don't want to be broken or delayed, and some holidays are missed. As long as your wife supports you pursuing your dream I say go for it. And don't let the crabby, negative jerks on here tell you otherwise!

And no I won't trade you, but I'll gladly buy you a beer on an overnight some day :beer:
Pickle...are you serious? You don't think that positive do you?

Kinda makes you think. Why all these guys hate the job why there doesnt seem to be a pilots shortage???

To lazy to find something else...?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back