• Friendliest aviation community on the web

would you take this offer?

• yes get the type and get the job

Votes: 139 48.8%
  • nope this is too close to the PFT devil

Votes: 146 51.2%

• Total voters
bobbysamd said:
Insinuating that all pilots are dishonest, which I, on a personal basis, resent.
oh c'mon...you can have hurt feelings all day long, but hes right. time and time again, pilots dont honor their contracts. he never said all pilots. if they all did honor them, there would be no such thing as a paper contract :rolleyes:

wingnutt said:
oh c'mon...you can have hurt feelings all day long, but hes right. time and time again, pilots dont honor their contracts. he never said all pilots. if they all did honor them, there would be no such thing as a paper contract :rolleyes:
No offense taken from C601; offense taken from this "company." I, personally, don't care for automatic assumptions that I am dishonest or unethical because others are. But, maybe, that's just me and me being old-school. And, again, there are dangers in generalizations.

And, there are choices. If a company is going to automatically assume that I am dishonest because others before me have been that way and before getting to know me, I would not care to work for them.

Anyway, old discussion. Although the place does not comport exactly with P-F-T, it is close enough and, therefore, should be avoided.

Last edited:
bobbysamd said:
Although the place does not comport exactly with P-F-T, it is close enough and, therefore, should be avoided.
agreed...but unfortunately, by the results of the poll, we are in the minority :(

<sigh>

Although the place does not comport exactly with P-F-T, it is close enough and, therefore, should be avoided.
wingnutt said:
agreed...but unfortunately, by the results of the poll, we are in the minority :(
So much for old-school ways. But, I'm old-school, and proud of it.

Let's call it a 'Shelter for Battered Pilots" and maybe we can get a tax break, too!"

WMUSIGPI said:
3 years ago when places couldn't find enough qualified (insurable in business world terms) pilots and they were repeatedly being burned by pilots taking the job getting the training/type then jumping to a better paying gig because of the type leaving the original company stiffed on its investment.
sitting in the chief pilot's chair trying to explain all these large costs to the CFO what would you say to him?

Sheesh. You say to him, "We are losing a lot of good pilots because what we are offering is not competitive. We need to review our compensation packages and update it to make sure we stay competitive".

That's the difference between a good chief pilot and a bad one. A bad one says, "Hmmnn, well, here's an idea- let's hire guys who aren't competitively qualified for the job, but are willing to pay out some money, and make them buy their own types. That way, if they leave for soemthing better, it won;t cost us anything. And, while we're at it, let's stop calling ourselves a Flight Department, let's call it a 'Shelter for Battered Pilots" and maybe we can get a tax break, too!".

Fact- the companies with the turnover that would make them consider indentured servitude (let's call it what it is) are the ones that are going to treat you like dog-doo . . . don't ever pay for your own training.

Bobby,

Again like i said with Avbugs post, I agree with everything you say, put as i have stated in my second post, i did not refer to ALL pilots leave there current employment and not pro-rate the training.

Again i said based on what i have experienced with the corporate jets i have sold and leased i have yet to see a pilot that leaves early and pay a pro rated share of the training costs here in S Florida.

This year I have only had 1 pilot come and see me private to let me know he was leaving, the rest it was either a phone call from the company that bought the jet asking if we could help them, or i heard from other sources.

Its either some pilots get better offers here in the states or overseas, or its family issues etc....

As for background checks, that it some thing we don't get involved in, Unless its for our own jet. But then again I personaly hired our other pilot after he asked me to did i want to go Gliding, sure i'll fly anything, Spent a day with him told him everything he needed to know about the company Good and some small issues i felt he needed to know and he has been with us 6 and a bit years with no problems.

Even, I have been offered other Corporate jobs, some with the jets i have sold, But i've stayed with my boss, has he's been very good to me and learned alot in the 7years i've have been with them, more then i could ever wished for.

Maybe 1 day i'll tell my story, i think its an interesing one, considering that if you had of told me 10years ago i'd be a corporate pilot, and buying jets to either sell or lease for the Investment Bank i'm with. I've would of told you there is no way. Flying for the airlines was the way for me since i can rememeber, but probably never happen at this point.

Anyways this is an old thread so i'll leave it a that.

Last edited:
You can't compare what happens in South FL flight departments with the rest of the country. Having lived and worked down there- there are a few good jobs, a few traditional corporate pilots, and a whole lot of scalawags.

In my experience (5 years as a corporate jet pilot) the companies that wanted money from the pilots had serious problems anyway . . . . now, I did work for a place that I had a "gentlemens' agreement" with to stay for two years, after they paid for my type, and to move me and my family there. I had no problem honoring that commitment. If a much, much better opportunity had come along, I would have went to them and said, "Look, if I don't take this job, I would be too stupid to work here. What can I do to make this fair? How much do I reimburse you to make this right?".

Last edited:
Ty Webb said:
You can't compare what happens in South FL flight departments with the rest of the country. Having lived and worked down there- there are a few good jobs, a few traditional corporate pilots, and a whole lot of scalawags.

In my experience (5 years as a corporate and/or 135 pilot) the companies that wanted money from the pilots had serious problems anyway . . . . now, I did work for a place that I had a "gentlemens' agreement" with to stay for two years, after they paid for my type, and to move me and my family there. I had no problem honoring that commitment. If a much, much better opportunity had come along, I would have went to them and said, "Look, if I don;t take this job, I would be too stupid to wrok here. What can I do to make this fair? How much do I reimburse you to make this right?".

Ty's right on.

S. Florida is the breeding ground of scumbag charter/management companies.
(Now..before y'all get huffy...surely Im not refering to YOUR operation..)

You would have to be crazy to buy your type, most of these places dont keep these airplanes under management for an entire 2 years...these owners switch companies yearly, with nothing but a bunch of lawsuits in thier wake - fights over maintenance, billing, etc..they are paranoid that they are getting screwed, and usually they are right!

Remember, a Falcon 900 type rating you just wasted 30K+ on is pretty useless unless you have a few good PIC hours in the airplane. What are you going to do when the owner moves his airplane or sells it? You can bet as soon as that owner stops paying his bills, that charter operator stops paying you.

A good company usually attracts good pilots, and neither has a need for a signed training agreement.

But yeah, beat to death...throw this biatch back in the closet...

Latest resources

Back