• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you leave?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I left a 60k plus engineering job about 6 years ago to start flying as a career. I instructed for 2 years (1947 hours dual-given in case you're wondering). I was hired on flying a beech for commutair where I sat in the right seat for over two years. Finally upgraded, to sit reserve for about 4 months (in Cleveland, and in the winter none the less). Left there to join you guys here at Colgan to get based close to home again.

Looking back there are days that I miss the stability and repetitiveness of the 9-5 career. On the other hand I think that being a pilot is a mental illness. I have the disease. You're career is really a personal thing and only you can make this decision. My only advice would be that you really think it over before making this decision. Its taken a lot of time, patience, and money to get to where you are today and I think the job market tide is really starting to turn in aviation. A lot of the QOL issues you are struggling with now might start to improve. You're never gonna be home every night, and you will always miss holidays and such but if you leave there might be part of you that misses flying as a career. If you make this decision to make your wife or family happy, in the end you might resent them for making a decision you really didn't want to make. I guess what I am saying is to really think this one through.

Good Luck. "If it was easy, anyone would do it."

Take the normal job and buy a Bonanza.

That's it in a nutshell right there.....if you really miss flying that much, you should be able to afford to go and rent for a few hours on the weekend or possibly even be a partner in a small plane......honestly, that kind of flying would probably be more fun to do.....IMHO a less stressful situation (for the most part)

I would. The stress and BS with this job is way above the average job. I know many that are look outside.

By the way, if faced with a decision of leaving Mesa for Kalitta what would you do? I hope to be faced with that decision after my interview next week!

Wow congrats! I would ask yourself, what kind of pay, schedule and benefits does Kalitta offer. Is it something you really want or something that removes you from your current environment.

I have to say your thoughts about "boredom/frustration with the right career" sounds like it rings true to me.... Right career, I have so much fun and feel like I don't work, yet not mentally challenging enough..... Umm

Still processing!

Think about it this ways.....you can always go from "Good job, schedule, making money, job security, retirement" TO "no money, no crappy schedule, job security? maybe retirement" anytime you want. But it's hard as hell to do it the other way around. You wanna fly? buy a Cirrus or Cessna and fly on your weekends with the family. Now if that's not good enough for you then it seems you might just want to keep flying.

Not to be a spoil sport, but I have been told many times on this site that $100K is chicken feed, I have never seen it so I guess I don't know what chicken feed is. I left aviation for 5 years and came back have never looked back since.

I think about it alot if not several times daily. Flying is fun and is something that pilots can only relate/understand the "illness". Heck take the 6 figure job and you will have money to actually rent or purchase your own plane with a buddy or something. You can always come back to flying if you miss it 121 style.

I would leave if I could find a job that I would enjoy outside flying. My dream would be to work for the Chicago Cubs doing something. Maybe selling beer :)

All seriousness make the choice that is right for your family and will give you the most happiness being home and seeing your kids grow. Life is too short to miss a baseball game compared to spending nights in a crashpad.

I have been in the regionals for 5+ yrs and everyday I commute to work for AWAC I get closer to giving that two weeks notice. God knows it is not hard to make more money than what a regional FO makes.

I believe good flying jobs exist but you have to get really lucky. SWA out of a base that you really want or a fortune 200 part 91 gig that has good pay and equiptment. Otherwise the rest sucks.

Last edited:
In July of '05 I was faced with a choice -- stay home, sell real estate with my wife and be with my family -- or take the upgrade, commute to O'Hare, and follow through on all of the hard work that I had put in to getting to that point. I chose to stay home.

My wife and I made almost 400K selling real estate last year. We are on track to make over 500K this year. And yet not a day goes by that I don't think about flying.

I truly belive that if you can live in base, get some senioroty -- and have another job that pays the bills -- being an airline pilot would be the greatest part time job in the world. If you do live in base, see if you can find that other job that gives you both money and the flexability to be a pilot -- real estate is a great example -- and your life will be quite nice.

Hope that helps...

Latest resources

Back