Would you leave?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Prop2Jet

Ok, I know I am a goof in most of my posts but this time I am serious.

If an opportunity, outside of flying, presented itself to you and offered a 40 hour work week, retirement and great benefits would you consider leaving this 121 job.

The long-term pay would be around 100K in a few years. But outside of the money what motivations would you consider to weigh against staying in flying as career.

Thanks for your inputs!

P2J

Wish I could find something like that. Go for it....You only live once. This "career" in aviation takes too much from our short lives. The value of seeing those we care about more often is worth far more then shinny jet time and stripes.

Is the new job something that will get you challenged and interested for years to come? Is it something you would be proud of?

In addition to sticky's items....If I had some schedule flexibility, and didn't have the phobia that I have of a 9-5 gig, I'd think about: sleeping in my own bed every night. Spanking my own wife every night(or at least having the option to). Seeing my real friends whenever I wanted. Having weekends and holidays as my own. Money. Stability. Hobbies.

Don't be afraid to leave the airlines if there's something better calling. It's just a job, at the end of the day. Treat it like any other.

You guys have some great points which I was unable to vocalize. This job is something that I would be proud of as it entails protecting the US. It is, from what I know, mentally challenging and has numerous avenues for other sub-career tracks.

I am just torn by the issue of "what if it sucks" and what if I miss flying everyday. Kinda like the grass is greener over there syndrome.
I know if I make this move I can't go back to flying due to family etc...

Last edited:
There's no generic answer. You need to figure out what's right for you. I left a lucrative non-aviation career after 20 years in which I had climbed way up the ladder. A lot of people said I was crazy because of what I was giving up. But it was the right decision for me because I was burnt to a crisp and I couldn't live with the thought of not pursuing my passion and possibly regretting it for the rest of my life. It made sense for me because my kids were grown and I had money in the bank. It nearly cost me my marriage, actually jury still out on that.

Sure, working for a regional airline has its drawbacks, but any other career would too. I don't take the abuse personally, and it helps me keep it all in perspective. Its not that the grass is greener, its more a question of blue vs green. I don't regret my decision at all, but in retrospect it was a giant step sideways. Complete opposite end of the spectrum. Fixed some issues. caused some new ones.

Figure out if your issue is the wrong career, or boredom/frustration with the right career. That might make the decision easier, and other options apparent.

By the way, if faced with a decision of leaving Mesa for Kalitta what would you do? I hope to be faced with that decision after my interview next week!

By the way, if faced with a decision of leaving Mesa for Kalitta what would you do? I hope to be faced with that decision after my interview next week!

Wow congrats! I would ask yourself, what kind of pay, schedule and benefits does Kalitta offer. Is it something you really want or something that removes you from your current environment.

I have to say your thoughts about "boredom/frustration with the right career" sounds like it rings true to me.... Right career, I have so much fun and feel like I don't work, yet not mentally challenging enough..... Umm

Still processing!

What if it sucks?!? WHAT IF A WING COMES OFF YOUR PLANE!!! Don't worry about the what-ifs. It's just like breathing...eventually you won't even know you're doing it. If it's something you're interested in, and you may never get the opportunity to do again...why not go for it? Good Luck

Yes, or No. Depends a lot on your age and connections.

If you are young enough and manage to have the forsight to have worked your connections in your early 20's to get on with a stable, growing, carrier - you could have an extreemly bright future. It is a lottery ticket. However, as you get older the odds of pulling a successful career out of aviation get longer.

Overall, aviation is not a profitable enterprise and most smart managers who take a look at aviation avoid it. Running and aviation operation is a tough and brutal business. This is not to say that this universal maxum holds true everywhere. Southwest, UPS and FedEx have avoided the pitfalls of the industry by doing something different and doing it very well.

I keep looking for signs the industry will stabilize, but, looking forward the industry is exposed to increases in oil prices, carbon taxes and governmental regulation.

For the jobs in aviation to get better the employers in aviation have to get better and right now I just don't see much up side in the business models to get excited about. The industry still has too much capacity and insufficient revenues to adequately fund expenses and profits.

Last edited:
P2J -

Touche on the comeback. Actually it wasn't a real question. I will leave Mesa in a nanosecond for Kalitta. Just taking the oportunity to publicly gloat over the opportunity. Good luck

#%&@$!

Latest resources

Back