• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you go ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks a lot for posting the info. I found it very interesting. Unfortunately, now that I've finally gotten into an aircraft that is certified for RVSM, I won't be flying the tracks anytime soon, (until RVSM comes to the US).

I still believe, though, that if it is possible to overfly the RVSM area, that there must be an acceptable procedure to follow in the event of an emergency. Anyone?

RVSM

My previous post attempted to answer Ty Webb's question as shown in bold print at the top of my post. I wasn't asking the question.

Non_RVSM decsending thru RVSM

Well, maybe I should read the question more carefully. if I am overflying RVSM what is the procedure to fly through RVSM in an emergency? Thanks for clearing that up CL60. I was asleep at the wheel.

Ty Webb,

I think the only answer is to be in a certified aircraft and properly trained for the airspace regardless. Once you penetrate the airspace, you must adhere to the rules everyone else is following or there will be conflicts. We're basically on our own out there. Here's a paragraph from the FAA's NAT RVSM website:

"Phase I RVSM was implemented from FL 330 to FL 370, inclusive, on March 27, 1997, within Minimum Navigation Performance Specifications (MNPS) airspace. Phase II of NAT RVSM expanded RVSM from FL 310 to FL 390, inclusive, on October 8, 1998. Phase III further expanded NAT RVSM airspace from FL 290 to FL 410, inclusive, on 24 January 2002. All aircraft that have not been approved for RVSM operations are excluded from this airspace. Ongoing system performance monitoring and review of aircraft approvals continues."

"Note: MNPS airspace is FL 285 to FL 420."

As you can see, not many aircraft can go over it now anyway and many aircraft that can overfly it are probably approved anyway.

Hope this helps.

Latest resources

Back