• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you fly Mesa ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fly Delta through ATL (a beautiful hub with no delays, ever), and then onto SLC. We need your money now, to help pay for our pilot contract. (it is all our fault!)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
skootertrash said:
Screw Roanoke. How about CLT? It's the corner cutting that made MESA subcontract out for cheaper MX. Which directly lead to 21 peoples' death.
Skootertrash,

Are you aware that the contract MX on the CLT flight was Raytheon?? Generally not considered a third rate name. And most might think they would have an advantage, actually being the manufacturer of the 1900.

- Checknsix

Only as a last resort.

I used to have to deadhead, and even once or twice, jumpseat on mesa with my old company.

Their reliability got so bad that our scheduling department was told by CP's office, "no more scheduled deadheads on mesa."

I worked with a bunch of mesa haters that accused mesa of everything under the sun, including sucking as pilots. But, I had pretty much always written that off as bitterness. That is until the last time I rode their jumpseat.

The crew first got my attention when they got lost taxiing out at the departure airport and almost caused a runway incursion, if ground hadn't intervened.

The crew was so behind the airplane during descent and approach that they were forced to go missed because they couldn't get it stabilized.

Thats all fine and good, except they didn't execute there missed approach procedures, which I would assume calls for cleaning up the airplane!!!!!
When the stick shaker started going off I almost sh*t my pants.

That is the only time in my life I have truely been scared to death in an airplane.

I'm sure that type of thing happens from time to time everywhere. But I haven't ridden mesa since.

Would you fly Colgan? After some of the stuff I've read/heard....no thanks. Nothing against their pilots....just sounds like some shady MX stuff.

Last edited:
skootertrash said:
Screw Roanoke. How about CLT? It's the corner cutting that made MESA subcontract out for cheaper MX. Which directly lead to 21 peoples' death.

-Alaskas in house MX helped cause the death of 120+ people so you shouldn't fly them
-Southwest might give you a free ride to the nearest gas station so you shouldn't fly them.
-Coex seems to have problems staying on the runway so stay away from them.
-Eagle pilots are trying to get credit for more then one landings on each arrival so there out.
-American has no problem pushing the 16 hr rule and then testing there superior flying skills landing in level 5 T.S, can't fly them.
-US Airways and United fly 737's and those planes seem to like to fly upside down when close to the ground, buy buy.
-Colgans in house MX can't follow the manuals, out.

I think you get the picture. -Bean

typhoonpilot said:
I don't trust Mesa for three reasons: 1) they put one of my old airlines out of business ( Westair ), 2) Roanoke, and 3) they have a horrible reputation for lack of on time arrivals and numerous flight cancellations.

TP
Typhoonpilot,

Better put COEX on that list of yours. I believe they had three instructors in the cockpit of that jet they totaled in Houston. And then American had a RCP sitting in the seat for the one in Little Rock. Somebody already mentioned SWA in Burbank and Eagle in PR. That's four more airlines you shouldn't fly. Out of all of these incidents, the only hull that is still flying is the Roanoke ERJ at Mesa. By the way, what was the name of your airline again??? No skeletons there I assume.

Also, in defense of Mesa's ability to maintain a flight schedule, you need to remember that for the most part, they do not own/operate the gate/ramp crews. Their partners do. The vast majority of delays go to weather, and delays due to ground ops. Now throw in a couple of bankrupt partners that are trying to operate their ground crews on a dime, and Mesa doesn't get much of a break.

Who do you work for again?

- Checknsix

Understand your plates!!!!

aewanabe said:
2) Roanoke. Largely the result of a primacy of learning/negative transference on the Captain's part, coupled with a not-assertive-enough FO. (Remember, Captain went straight from BE1900 right seat to ERJ left seat.) In other words, pilot error, compounded by a company that was expanding exponentially. How many more "prestigious" regionals, not to mention Majors, have had pilot error accidents in the last decade? I also don't believe that Mesa is growing at a rate right now causing upgrades from 1900 right seat to ERJ or CRJ left seat.
The main problem wasn't with flying the airplane. The problem was reading that night departures weren't authorized off 33 and then thinking that meant no going around. I thought we learned about going around in Private Pilot school and reading approach plates in Instrument class. How does that have anything to do with changing seats and airplanes?

Who the frick reads "no night departures" and thinks...well looks like were landing no matter what!!?? Wait, I know one person.

Granted, while "go-around isn't an option" will live in infamy, that's not what actually CAUSED the accident. My reference was to the captain being 1/2 dot high and plus 10 knots at 300 AGL and responding by going to flight idle and removing her hands from the thrust levers.

Latest resources

Back