Would you fly Mesa ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mesa

One of the legs on the return would have to be on Mesa . . . . If you were buying a ticket, would you choose to ride on Mesa ?
I rode on Mesa a couple of times in 1992 in Florida when it was FloridaGulf, non-revved for my MAPD interview in 1993 and again as a Mesa employee later in 1993. Of course, that was years ago. While I do not care especially for the company as an employer, all my trips were fine; on one trip, to Farmington from Denver, my baggage beat me to the airport! I appreciate your point about Roanoke.
I don't trust Mesa for three reasons: 1) they put one of my old airlines out of business ( Westair )
WestAir/United Express was my first regional interview in August of 1991, right after Saddam invaded Kuwait. I believe that Mesa had already purchased WestAir by that time.

thanks for telling us you rode Mesa over 10 years ago. I am sure nothing has changed since then. serious bobby i sometimes wonder if you post just to increase your total. You need to either get back in to aviation, or stop the 10 year flashbacks that really don't add anything relevant

screw that bobby!

Sir,

I appreciate your presence at this forum and your postings are most valuable.

Friendly regards,
FD

Fly Delta through ATL (a beautiful hub with no delays, ever),
General, did you forget the ;) symbol in that post, or should it have been a :p ?

Better put COEX on that list of yours. I believe they had three instructors in the cockpit of that jet they totaled in Houston. And then American had a RCP sitting in the seat for the one in Little Rock. Somebody already mentioned SWA in Burbank and Eagle in PR. That's four more airlines you shouldn't fly. Out of all of these incidents, the only hull that is still flying is the Roanoke ERJ at Mesa. By the way, what was the name of your airline again??? No skeletons there I assume.
Actually you seem to be missing the plot here. I mentioned three reasons for initially have a very bad reaction to the thought of flying on Mesa. Only one of them was safety. Obvioulsy almost all airlines have had accidents or incidents that they aren't proud of or that caused some fatalities. Those in themselves are usually not a good enough reason to put the airline on a no-fly list. Only in extreme circumstances like the third world airlines in Africa and other regions would you really do that. When you start adding additional factors like numerous flight cancellations or severe delays then it is prudent to ask the question that I have. I don't know what Mesa's recent reputation is in that department. It was very bad a few years ago. In fact it was so bad at one point that United cancelled their feeder contract with them. How is it today ? I think aewanabe and beantown might have already answered. Before someone says to check the DOT statistics, remember that cancellations don't show in on time performance ratings.

Typhoonpilot

Define "relevant" . . . .

generaltso said:
thanks for telling us you rode Mesa over 10 years ago. I am sure nothing has changed since then. serious bobby i sometimes wonder if you post just to increase your total. You need to either get back in to aviation, or stop the 10 year flashbacks that really don't add anything relevant
Gosh, I thought you were my friend . . . . I never thought I'd catch a flame from you. Not that it matters to me what you think. And, what purpose does it serve for me to increase my post total?

One thing I've found from reading this board over the past three years is not much has changed in professional aviation, especially regarding training, career-building, instructing and safety. Not to mention the myriad of personalities one encounters among aviation. And, in those three years, except, perhaps, for regionals doing more mainline flying and a far greater emphasis on security, not a whole lot more has changed. So, once more, define "relevant."

Finally, no one is forcing you to read my posts. But I do appreciate your time to read them.

Last edited:
I know of three...

FAA 121 inspectors that wont fly Mesa unless they are riding in the jumpseat.
Every airline has "those" pilots but with the high turnover rate at Mesa, experience is short lived.

The next day is one day closer to EVERY airline's next incident or accident.

Typhoonpilot,

I'm missing the plot??? Oh, I think I have the plot down. You are simply mesa-bashing because you have a personal vendetta with Mesa regarding the Westair deal.

You attack part of my argument, even though you brought up the point.

You stated your position on why you don't want to fly Mesa regarding schedule performance, and then post the question ("I don't know what Mesa's recent reputation is in that department.")

The plot is, you are stating your position that you hate Mesa and trolling for others that think like you. Next time start your thread out like this so the new people here don't have to read through the BS:

"Mesa screwed me over when I was at Westair and I want to whine about it."

- Checknsix

typhoonpilot said:
I don't trust Mesa for three reasons: 1) they put one of my old airlines out of business ( Westair ), 2) Roanoke, and 3) they have a horrible reputation for lack of on time arrivals and numerous flight cancellations.
Typhoonpilot
typhoonpilot said:
Actually you seem to be missing the plot here. I mentioned three reasons for initially have a very bad reaction to the thought of flying on Mesa. Only one of them was safety. Obvioulsy almost all airlines have had accidents or incidents that they aren't proud of or that caused some fatalities. Those in themselves are usually not a good enough reason to put the airline on a no-fly list.

When you start adding additional factors like numerous flight cancellations or severe delays then it is prudent to ask the question that I have. I don't know what Mesa's recent reputation is in that department. It was very bad a few years ago. In fact it was so bad at one point that United cancelled their feeder contract with them. How is it today ?

I don't trust Mesa for three reasons: 1) they put one of my old airlines out of business ( Westair ), 2) Roanoke, and 3) they have a horrible reputation for lack of on time arrivals and numerous flight cancellations.

Typhoonpilot

Typhoonpilot,

I'm missing the plot??? Oh, I think I have the plot down. You are simply mesa-bashing because you have a personal vendetta with Mesa regarding the Westair deal.

You attack part of my argument, even though you brought up the point.

You stated your position on why you don't want to fly Mesa regarding schedule performance, and then post the question ("I don't know what Mesa's recent reputation is in that department.")

The plot is, you are stating your position that you hate Mesa and trolling for others that think like you. Next time start your thread out like this so the new people here don't have to read through the BS:

"Mesa screwed me over when I was at Westair and I want to whine about it."

- Checknsix
Yep, definitely missing the plot. I was long gone from Westair before Mesa ever bought them. Unlike most pilots I actually care about my fellow employees. Seeing what Mesa Management did to them was sickening. This thread wasn't started to be a Mesa bashing thread. Sorry that your skin is so thin as to think so. What Mesa did to my friends at WestAir doesn't reflect on the current Mesa pilots so don't take it personally.

After mulling over my thoughts and seeing the responses here on this forum I have decided that it wouldn't right to buy a ticket that included riding on Mesa.

Have a nice day :)

Typhoonpilot

Last edited:
Whoever started this thread, how about ponying up the dough and chartering an aircraft?!

Typhoon:

Pilot staffing in PHX is up to speed now, so the odds of your leg being cancelled are pretty slim. You'll have just as much risk getting cancelled / delayed by mainline HP at this point, which (same as any other airilne) is a roll of the dice. In the last 4 weeks, I've had 4 mainline DHs that were late through no fault of theirs. WX has been wreaking havoc out here lately.

You mentioned that your wife is pregnant, so imagine how she'll feel being cramped into an RJ for 1-2 hours. I've DH'd enough on my own to know I hate the ride unless the flight is 50% full. Get a nice comfy seat on a narrow body and you'll both be much happier.

-B

Latest resources

Back