• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would like some info on American Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Around 27K while you're in training. Bumped up to 35k once you are signed off. 45k starting year 2. Current ten-year top out 90k as reported to us by the guys conducting the process.

American Dispatch....

Around 27K while you're in training. Bumped up to 35k once you are signed off. 45k starting year 2. Current ten-year top out 90k as reported to us by the guys conducting the process.

What happens after someone else takes over American Airlines...Back to 27K again?

American Airlines Dispatchers

Training pay not even 13 bucks a friggin hour (based on a 2080 hr yr)

That is pathetic

The interview process in my mind s$cks and pay s$cks, so why would anyone want to work for them?? It's way beyond me!

In flying a lot of guys want to have American Airlines on their resume, but it's beyond me after looking at this kind of stuff.

American Airlines

AMR Falls 6.6% After Morningstar Sees Bankruptcy in Future

Q
By Mary Jane Credeur - Oct 21, 2011 2:45 PM MT
  • American Airlines fell 6.6 percent, the fourth decline in six trading sessions, after a Morningstar analyst said he concluded that the company “will succumb to bankruptcy.”
The shares dropped to $2.69 at 4:15 p.m. in New York, capping a day in which they rose as much as 2.4 percent and fell as far 10 percent. Labor costs put Fort Worth, Texas-based AMR at a disadvantage to peers, and the carrier’s “viability is in jeopardy,” Morningstar’s Basili Alukos said in a report today.

AMR has been buffeted this month by intraday stock plunges of as much as 41 percent on speculation that it will seek court protection after annual losses that began in 2008. The company reiterated today that filing for bankruptcy isn’t a “goal or preference” as it seeks to rework union contracts.

There is no immediate bankruptcy concern,” Micheal Derchinan, analyst at CRT Capital Group LLC, said in a telephone interview. “They have plenty of cash and ways to borrow more, so bankruptcy is not something we have to worry about at the moment.”

AMR ended the third quarter with $4.3 billion in unrestricted cash, and could do a forward sale of frequent-flier miles or borrow against planes and spare parts next year when those assets are freed up, said Derchin, who is based in Stamford, Connecticut. He rates AMR as “fairly valued.”

Shares, Credit Swaps

Today’s decline for AMR was the worst in the Bloomberg U.S. Airlines Index, which dropped 1.2 percent as seven carriers fell. AMR has plunged 65 percent this year.

Investors’ perception of AMR’s creditworthiness improved today, as contracts protecting against a default for five years eased 1.87 percentage points to 56.1 percent upfront, according to data provider CMA. That’s in addition to 5 percent a year, meaning it would cost $5.61 million initially and $500,000 annually to protect $10 million of AMR’s debt.
Management at American is working to improve financial results and reach new labor contracts with pilots, flight attendants and other employees, said Sean Collins, a spokesman.

“Bankruptcy is not our goal or preference,” Collins said in a telephone interview. AMR and the APA recessed contract talks late yesterday and plan to resume bargaining on Oct. 24. Pilot unions are considered a bellwether in industry labor negotiations. Unlike peers including United and Delta, AMR didn’t reorganize under Chapter 11 bankruptcy court protection in the past decade, so its costs are higher, Collins said.

Morningstar’s Alukos, who is based in Chicago, said in his report that staying out of bankruptcy left AMR “unable to cleanse its excessive cost structure,” and that the company won’t be able to pull off a turnaround.
CRT Capital’s Derchin said AMR’s situation is “tough, but fixable.”

Management’s focus is not on bankruptcy,” he said in the interview. “They would view that as a failure.

To contact the reporter on this story: Mary Jane Credeur in Atlanta

Bye Bye---General Lee

The starting pay was kind of a shocker to me too....it is a little hard to swallow....however I still am looking at the overall picture....starting year two, providing everything stays them same, I would be making more money than what I would even be making at the 10-year top on our current contract at the place I work for.
I am aware of the risks, but I enjoy hearing opinions and analysis as it does factor into decisions I make. I don't really know what the heart of the problem is at AA, but from what I've been reading it sounds like high pilot labor costs since they didn't file bankruptcy like the other airlines have already been able to do, as well as their older aircraft fleet. I don't even honestly know why this round of dispatchers is being hired....it's a question I didn't ask and wish I would have. Maybe it would put my mind at ease a little more if I knew it was because they have a group that is definitely retiring vs. hiring just because they anticipate the need. Seems to me when places hire just because they anticipate, that usually doesn't work out in favor of the new hires when times get rough.
I honestly enjoyed my brief time at their facilities. The persons conducting the testing/group interview were straight up, no-bullcrap honest with us I felt......I frankly enjoy that. The always happy HR spin stuff gets kind of old, and it was refreshing to me at least to have some straight talk for a change in an interview process.
If anyone has more opinions or insight about AA, or making the move to any major at this point, please speak up as it all helps in the decision making process. Thanks!

Latest resources

Back