Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AcarsMe

Hello all,
I am new to Flightinfo. I have been a regional dispatcher for the last 6 years, and I have been itching to move on to a major. I am going to American next week to test for a dispatching position and I was trying to find out some information, and this seemed maybe like a good web site/forum to try.

I have been reading a lot of things lately about American's stock and the possibility of them filing for bankruptcy. Does anyone know what the general vibe is around there? Granted I haven't gotten the job yet, but I am always trying to think ahead....and I keep asking myself, if by a miracle I get the job, is it too risky to go to a place like American if they are on the brink of bankruptcy? I have known a few people that get hired on with a major, only to get furloughed a few months later. For the life of me I don't understand why these airlines can't plan ahead better and only hire the people they really need, regardless if they start having financial issues. If anyone can provide any information at all about the company, hiring process, etc. I would sure appreciate it! Thanks all!

Risk comes with the business. You can either look at it as a roll of the dice or a calculated risk.

BTW where do you work now?

How did the interview/test go?

Yeah whats the deal with that? I heard its something called the "topic of the day"?

I participated in AA interview today. Interview started for all at the same time. Given a 180's question test to complete in 30minutes. And then you where given a chance to do a 30 minute essay on "why you want to be a dispatcher at American Airlines" if you passed the test then you went onto a group interview. Once done you will be contacted later for a second interview. Overall a very good experience and some very nice people. Best advice for future applicants is know you stuff!

yes, 80 question test that had to be completed in 30 minutes. Then a one side sheet of paper essay on the topic as stated above. If you received their passing score on that, you were able to move on to the group interview where they would go around the room at random and ask various questions. Everyone had to answer the question, but it was at random. Anyone interested can PM me for some more details.

American Airlines

I participated in AA interview today. Interview started for all at the same time. Given a 180's question test to complete in 30minutes. And then you where given a chance to do a 30 minute essay on "why you want to be a dispatcher at American Airlines" if you passed the test then you went onto a group interview. Once done you will be contacted later for a second interview. Overall a very good experience and some very nice people. Best advice for future applicants is know you stuff!

That place was always overkill even for pilot interviews. My interview back in the days was a forest of paperwork. I ened up getting pissed off with them during the interview for wanting some more of the same paperwork with no changes. I never made it to the simulator check or sent a rejection letter...

I'm sure the 180's question test and essay made you a lot better dispatcher. It's sad because there are really good dispatchers not willing to go through that crap.

Then American Airlines screwed over TWA on the merger, but that's a longer story.

I would rather bag groceries then work for them!

Lot of BS for 35k a year!

Latest resources

Back