• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Worth it to renew CFI?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've got a quick question. My first CFI renewal is coming up at the end of Sept. How do I actually apply for my renewal? I have had more than 5 students pass their checkrides in the past year, so I don't need to spend the money on the online courses right now.

Take your log book to your FSDO and they should take care of it for you. It probably would not hurt to call ahead and see exactly what they need .. and get the name of the person telling you the info.

Not to be the skunk at the party, but I know people who let theirs lapse after getting decent flying jobs. Their thinking was they could not afford the liability of private instructing any more.
Let's make that the "perceived" liability of private instructing.

Test: How many here either has, or personally know someone who has, had a injury liability claim made against them? ("I know someone who told me that a friend of a third cousin twice removed had an old boyfriend who knew a plumber whose cousin said..." doesn't count)

I asked that question to a group of about a dozen CFIs in a flight school - many of which were "old timers" and retirees from other careers who did have assets worth going after. Not one hand went up.

I've also been asking this question for about 7 years; my collection of real cases is real small.

Yes, of course it does happen. But I haven't seen evidence that it is the "huge" risk that some folks seem to think it is.

Latest resources

Back