• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Worth it to renew CFI?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How much money and time do you have invested in it? You can never have too many options for work. Maybe you need to use it for work someday. Maybe you have a son or friend someday that might want to learn to fly. 100 bucks every 2 years is a lot easier than re-issuance

I did about 600 dual given before starting 121 flying. I am currently out of regionals and now flying jets. I dont plan on going back to instructing in pistons, but the CFI ride was the toughest one I have taken. I keep mine current online, just so that I dont toss it all away. You never know when I might need it. I think it also looks good on resume that shows you keep current on your different skills. I dont know where the person who posted this is from, but I would think with all the regionals desperate for pilots that they will hire anyone who has experience. A friend of mine runs a flight school, and he is ALWAYS looking for instructors, and says they are very very hard to find.

There were some pretty good replies here. Here is my opinion:
First, ask yourself the BIG question...Do I LIKE instructing?
If you hated instructing, it would be only fair to not do it again. Nobody deserves flying with someone who hates instructing.
Now how to renew...
I suppose you are an FO at a regional. Money is tight, I know. But consider at least doing the Gleim renewal. I have been renewing for over 10 years and each time I come out glad that I spent the 100 bucks because so much changes every 2 years.
If you liked instructing, by all means renew. I find it both pathetic and amusing that a CFI with 300 dual given, but flies as a pro can't get any action as a CFI. You have seen "the big time" and have a lot to offer I am sure, but oh no, you are not a career CFI so you are not good enough. I think that's BS. The schools are doing a disservice to their students by blocking experienced pilots from instructing. Maybe it's because it's easier to convince a career CFI that they are only worth 12 bucks an hour. Maybe its because they think you'll quit (which as a PT CFI shouldn't matter). In any case, it's wrong, and each generation of pilot that comes up is weaker, both in professionalism and flying skills because of this.
I hope you renew, and I hope you get to do some instructing. Maybe put a dent in the idiot population.

Renew it.....you might not know when you will use it again.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

... If you fly 135, the POI can reissue it at his/her discretion...

Easiest renewal ever: I was a 135 instructor and our POI was around, so I asked him about renewal. Sure, he said, is that your student? Yes, I said, we were talking about the Ops Manual, as I held it up for him to see. Great, he says, give me your certificate and I'll go type up a renewal.

Done, and passed

Wrapped it up in 2 evenings with Jepp. Not that bad and would recommend it to others. Next time, I'll take advantage of the 3 month window they give you.:)
I find it both pathetic and amusing that a CFI with 300 dual given, but flies as a pro can't get any action as a CFI. You have seen "the big time" and have a lot to offer I am sure, but oh no, you are not a career CFI so you are not good enough. I think that's BS...Maybe it's because it's easier to convince a career CFI that they are only worth 12 bucks an hour.

I agree, Terry. It is what it is, and in the meantime, I will keep marketing myself to people who already own aircraft. I've had it with these a**hole flight school owners who think they're doing you a favor. "Yeah, how 'bout you work line-service for 6 mos and we'll make you an instructor then?" No thanks

Last edited:
Renew it.

American Flyers has a program, pay once and never again. I'll be doing my fourth free renewal in a couple of months. So, it just takes 16 or so hours of my time in front of this computer, no big deal.

Hung

Not to be the skunk at the party, but I know people who let theirs lapse after getting decent flying jobs. Their thinking was they could not afford the liability of private instructing any more. As long as they were just a starving CFI the odds of being sued by a former student's estate were slim and none. Now with a decent job it was a certainty they would be named in any accident/violation lawsuits by the former student or his estate. The new TSA record requirements were cited as other reasons to just let it go.

Not to be the skunk at the party, but I know people who let theirs lapse after getting decent flying jobs. Their thinking was they could not afford the liability of private instructing any more. As long as they were just a starving CFI the odds of being sued by a former student's estate were slim and none. Now with a decent job it was a certainty they would be named in any accident/violation lawsuits by the former student or his estate. The new TSA record requirements were cited as other reasons to just let it go.
In many ways I agree with you. But the nice thing about being "at the big time" and instructing on the side is that you can afford to be selective of who you take to instruct.

I agree - but I must admit TSA was the reason I let mine go. I hate paperwork and I get my instructing in with my current job. To each his own.

Latest resources

Back