• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Worth it to renew CFI?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sory, meant to say July 3rd. So it sounds like there is no grace period...fair enough. I might as well get cracking on applying on-line.
Um, have you looked on the back of your CFI certifciate? It carries a specific expiration date which is calculated in =calendar= months and might not have anything to do with the current certificate's issuance date. An expiration of June 3 or Jul 3 makes no sense.

Um, have you looked on the back of your CFI certifciate? It carries a specific expiration date which is calculated in =calendar= months and might not have anything to do with the current certificate's issuance date. An expiration of June 3 or Jul 3 makes no sense.
I'm aware of the calender months. My certificate expires at the end of June. July third was an arbitrary date of no signifigance other than to ask my question about a theorhetical grace period. In retrospect, I had a brain fart and couldn't think of the term 'grace period' so I chose July third (after the end of June) to form the basis of my question pertaining to the grace period. My mistake.

I had a CFI, got a job with a 121 carrier and let it expire. Many years later, when my son started taking lessons, I thought it would be nice to be able to put an entry in his logbook, so I got renewed while I was a company check airman and made a single entry.

I have no intention of ever using my CFI...but I now keep it current with a one-time/life time subscription to American Flyers. The course doesn't make me a proficient CFI, but it does keep my CFI from expiring. It is very cost efficient. If I ever want to start instructing, I'll get some real training.

Keep that CFI current. Your son might want that logbook entry someday!

I let mine (CFII/MEI) lapse a few years ago, after giving about 2,000 dual. I really didn't think I would ever use it again. Big mistake. I did a reinstatement a couple of months ago with a DPE. No, it was nowhere near as bad as the original, but it was a heck of a lot more expensive than if I would have just renewed it.

I agree 100% with woutlaw, I will never, EVER let mine lapse again.

I second that....

I'm aware of the calender months. My certificate expires at the end of June. July third was an arbitrary date of no signifigance other than to ask my question about a theorhetical grace period. In retrospect, I had a brain fart and couldn't think of the term 'grace period' so I chose July third (after the end of June) to form the basis of my question pertaining to the grace period. My mistake.
Ah. Gotcha. My mistake - I couldn't figure out what yo were talking about!

Don't you mean Richard Collins??? or Dick Carl????

I'm still pretty fresh as a CFI (passed the checkride last July) but the day I passed the ride I swore I'd never let mine lapse no matter what job I eventually wound up in.

Reason being, I have no desire to take the CFI checkride again, which is the only way to get that bugger back once you let it expire. Once was enough of that noise.

So, as long as I'm still sucking air I'll renew. Good ol' Dick Collins at Flying Mag wrote a while back that the best refresher he gets is when he renews his CFI every two years, and I'd bet Dick hasn't given more than a few hours of dual in 30 years.

I have let my instructor certificate lapse twice in the past. Just gone on extended assignments, etc, unable to get back to do anything about it. Today with the online refreshers, there's really no excuse not to hammer it out, anywhere you are.

The online can be done on your schedule, for less money, and is a simple process. I did the Jepp course a couple of years ago while doing a FSI course at the same time...just in my spare time in the evening, and had the refresher done by the time I finished my recurrent in the aircraft. Easy.

Don't let it lapse.

You never know what the future may hold but it's certain that a reinstatement ride will be more expensive and time consuming than taking one of the online classes. If you have a checkride of some kind just tell the examainer your CFI is coming due and ask the examiner if he is able to renew it as well.

Latest resources

Back