• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Worst Runway ever??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I could not find it in the Air Nav database for Colorado so I am unsure if the airport still exists, but back in the late 70's I was a passenger on a commuter hop (Fairchild Metro) that landed on a strip situated on a ridgeline of one of the moutains near the Community of Beaver Creek. I seem to recall that because of the surrounding terrain, most flights had to land uphill and then would later take off downhill (nice dropoff at the end of the runway) as the runway sloped upward along the ridgeline. The landing was pretty memorable but I will always be curious about what the takeoff would have been like as our itenary had us driving back to Denver.

Had to answer up on this one. Bezmer AB (LB44) in central Bulgaria. It is an old Soviet SU-25 base that is still in use. The runway is made of 2 meter hexagonal concrete blocks (easy to repair battle damage I guess). I swear I thought we wear going to blow a tire! During t/o it felt like we were in a low rider with the front jacks pumping. Not to mention the very "level" grating along the length of the r/w. Lucky for us, the trusty little Metroliner held strong!

T-Gates said:
Most of the islands suck....but the worst I know of here in the states is 21L at DTW...unless things have changed, it's like landing on a washboard.

Yup it is just like the Michigan roads, just patched up potholes.

North Eleuthera, Bahamas (aka the wild west)

Searching for the shortest strip in Alaska, I found one with an interesting note next to it: "Runway may or may not exist."

It was just recently closed, but was still open and had an note that airport use was not advised. I called the ODOT aviation guy that inspects the runways and says he only flies a helicopter in there. If you look at the pic on http://www.airnav.com/airport/9B9 there is a ditch that runs right down the middle of the runway. Quite intresting.

14 at BLM is 80ft wide...whats wrong with that? :D

Atleast its long...but I bet the hillyness that it has are more noticable in a jet, rather in a cherokee.

Latest resources

Back