Worst Runway ever??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sondrestromfjord Greenland was fun...
As far as rough runways go, Khandahar, Afganistan takes the cake. About 1500 feet down on both runways is just torn to pieces from all of the C-17s. You have to land at least 2500' down just so your teeth don't rattle.

ifleyelearz said:
Sondrestromfjord Greenland was fun...
As far as rough runways go, Khandahar, Afganistan takes the cake. About 1500 feet down on both runways is just torn to pieces from all of the C-17s. You have to land at least 2500' down just so your teeth don't rattle.

You should try Konduz (OAUZ) or Mazar-E-Sharif (OAMS) When the cabinettes open up and empty out and the Instrument panel shakes so hard that you can't read it, makes it interesting. Plus the mines, bomb craters, no fuel, etc.

St. Charles Airport (3sq) located in St. Charles, MO is really bad. It will literally shake the aircraft to pieces. A bunch of old farmers own the airport and will not make improvements because some land developers are going to buy them out in a years. Another airport bites the dust...

North Adams AQW can be a real eye opener for someone that thinks there are no mountains in MA. If your familiar and can fly up the valley its not bad but you wont see the airport till your on base as Mt. Greylock blocks the view and quite a few a/c have hit those mountains. I agree that Greenland has some bad ones too although Sondrestrum was not too bad.

I regularly fly into ASE (Aspen), GUC (Gunnison), and TEX (Telluride) in a DHC-8, and I say without a doubt 33R in Boston in a 402 was by far the scariest!

Whiteriver, AZ-

http://www.airnav.com/airport/e24

Makes sedona look like a great place to do touch and goes. The sad thing is i used to go in there at night all the time. I almost died there once while riding in the back of a CE-340. We slid off the end of the runway and were about 20 feet from the edge of the gorge.

Polacca, AZ-

http://www.airnav.com/airport/P10

There is a road crossing the runway, and they were kind enough to put stop signs RIGHT on the edges of the runway. So that meant with a 40+ ft wingspan and a 50 ft wide runway, you had about 5 feet on each side or you would take out one of them. I got the biggest prop nick I have ever seen while there in a Caravan.

Latest resources

Back