Worst Runway ever??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Captain4242

Although LGA landing 22 is pretty bad because of the bounce you get from crossing 13/31, I still vote for departing runway 14 at Belmar, NJ (BLM).
Although it's smooth, it's still a little narrow. But the crazy part is the "sine waves" you encounter during the roll. Could've sworn the nose gear got considerably off the ground a few times well before v1.
Any other votes?

The short runway in CHS, C-17's have done quite a number on that puppy. Unless it has changed in the last couple of years it is best to treat it as a dirt strip........come to think of it , I have flown off of smoother dirt strips out west! :)

can'y remember the runway number, but tyler, tx. has a very large dip in the runway where the intersecting runway crosses...pretty bumpy at times...

Most of you have probably never heard of it, but Evanston WY is among my worst.

It's up on a plateau with an airport elevation of 7163' in the middle, but the grade of the runway is so steep you have to land and takeoff in different directions unless the wind is howling.

Land on 23 is like landing on an aircraft carrier, and have that yoke leaving an imprint on your chest, or you'll land on the nose gear.

Takeoff on 5, b/c the ground rises faster on 23 than some airplane's ability to climb out initially in the summer months.

Land on 5 and you'll use most of the 7300' (and your brake pads) if you come in too hot. Takeoff's in that direction though only require ground effect until you clear the fence, where you'll pick up 800' immediately.

Lexington Tenn. has them all beat. Of course noone here has been there, but I now refuse to go in there because the runway is dangerous. Our nose gear left the ground approximately 5 times prior to V1 and many of the runway lights are broken or disconnected. I've seen a few bad runways, but I have never said never again to any of them but M52....Lexington TN. Don't take your aircraft there.

Cliff Dwellers airstrip which is SW of Marble Canyon, which is SW of Page, AZ is about the worst I've been to. Any Lake Mead or Lake Powell pilots have probably been there.

snow-back

snow-back said:
Cliff Dwellers airstrip which is SW of Marble Canyon, which is SW of Page, AZ is about the worst I've been to. Any Lake Mead or Lake Powell pilots have probably been there.

Looks like we're neighbors (keep my AP at 36U).

I've never had the pain/pleasure to fly into Cliff Dwellers, but have looked down on it at altitude many times and shook my head.

Latest resources

Back