• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

buxflyr

Ok, so which hub airport is the worst?

My vote is CLT.

Holding this morning at 0630 with clear blue skies and calm winds.

Or PHL, LGA, etc. Get some more experience under your belt and you will be thankful for the times you fly to CLT.

CLT is frustrating and moves slowly due to Airways cramming way too many DEP/ARR per hour. HOWEVER, it is extremely low-stress compared to some of the other hubs mentioned above. The 25 mile final in CLT is just a relaxing way to make some extra money. I don't get that same warm-fuzzy in LGA.

ORD, hands down. On any day of the week just pull up the FAA ground delay site and odds are ORD is on there. Past that, PHL and LGA do suck, but they just can't compete with the sheer length of ground holds at ORD. I've never dealt with JFK, but I hear it sucks too.

You've obviously never been to PHL.

Agreed. I was never based there. But I did have a couple months where I went there THREE times a day. Worst traffic management, worst controllers.

Others would be JFK, IAD, and EWR. I've heard that LGA is back to it's pre 03/2001 slot restriction days. Used to be very common that we would time out on the taxi ways. Once took me 3 hours to go from LGA to PVD. When they went to the slottery there, it was practically a ghost town many days.

Of the seven airports I've been based at, CVG and LAX seem to be the easiest so far. I never thought BOS was too difficult either. A lot of runways and a lot of moving metal going in lots of different directions.

Latest resources

Back