Worst area for weather?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DHPFLYN

I figured this would be the best place since a lot of you fly to places around the world. Like I said just curious where the worst places are as far as weather? Are there some places always turbulent and lots of thunderstorms?

I had someone tell me that the United States was one of the worst but find that hard to believe.

Also one other question. When you are flying over the Pacific or Atlantic are you normally planned around most weather? I guess I was wondering since it's not as easy to just call call atc for a turn around weather. Or is it just that easy?

Thanks again for the information

As expected Midwest region is a nightmare in Summer when fast moving cold fronts cross the plains driving tops to 70kft and creating squall lines HUNDREDS of miles long.

I have never seen weather phenomena to compare to central USA where Pacific or Arctic systems colide with Gulf moisture and kaboom. I, as most of you have seen days with solid magenta level 4 and 5 lines from the Mexican border to past Chicago with no one getting through. Hundreds and hundreds of miles of inpenetrable CB`s. Never seen this over the ITCZ, Bay of Bengal etc.

Last edited:
In a book "north star over my shoulder" by Bob Buck. He was given a B29 and told to fly around the world looking for wx. After a year he said that the worst wx is in the midwest where the warm gulf aair meets the cold air from Canada. I think most agree.

thanks, So when you are crossing the pond is it easy to deviate around? or do they usually plan you around most weather? Like I said I was just more curious how it works when usually ATC plans on you being at certain points and times.

Thanks

Never went all the way across, but when we fly HF meaning position reports and such we plan around the weather. It is possible to get deviations, but it may take some time so you have to plan ahead.

Some of those African easterly waves that go blasting out into the ITCZ can be intense.

But yes, I agree some of the worst wx is right in in the good ole Midwest USA.

Some of those African easterly waves that go blasting out into the ITCZ can be intense.

But yes, I agree some of the worst wx is right in in the good ole Midwest USA.

Have done the Midwest summer and NE winter(lake effect) and while they both have challenges, SE Alaska when it goes bad, gets really bad. Bad weather, big mountains, small runways, and few options to divert. The Arctic and Kodiak can be sporty too.

Mookie

Have done the Midwest summer and NE winter(lake effect) and while they both have challenges, SE Alaska when it goes bad, gets really bad. Bad weather, big mountains, small runways, and few options to divert. The Arctic and Kodiak can be sporty too.

Mookie

Alaska is like another planet altogether regarding wx extremes.

Latest resources

Back