World's Largest Airplane visits US!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flightjock30

The other day I was at SWF (Stewart Intl Airport in New York) and the Russian Antonov 225 was there. 6 engines and 276 feet long. The world's largest airplane!!!! Makes 747s and C5s look small. It was an amazing site. It was at Stewart because it was picking up power units to fly off to the Middle East for the US Military. Anyone else ever seen this "beast" in person? Just curious. ;)

Saw one flying overhead at SNA (seemed like it was on the way to LGB, or maybe SLI) about 4 years ago. Neither my CFI nor anyone sitting outside with us had any idea what it was at the time, though. Man, that is one huge airplane.

Sometime in the mid 80's, there was one parked on static display at the annual Oshkosh EAA airshow. It was parked nose to nose to a Lockheed C-5. It was open to walk-throughs to the general public. I recall that while in it, how great a distance it was from the cargo deck to the overhead bulkhead. There was an aluminum ladder that the flight crew climbed up to get to the cockpit. It was a very tall ladder.

A little kid asked one of the Russian crew members a question. He asked, "How high is the ceiling in this airplane" In the Russians very thick accent he replied without a pause, "The ceiling is about ten thousand meters" The kids dad explained to the lad what the comunication error was to his question, about ceiling being how high the aircraft could fly, not how high it was to the overhead bulkhead. The Russian pilot upon hearing that explanation broke out in a big belly laugh, and then answered again, the distance the kid was interested in.

Very big airplane, and yes, it was considerably larger than the C-5

" Power Units"?

......But I wanted to go to hitachi and pick up some power converters!

......Not till you finish cleaning those droids.

There was one at STL a couple of years ago. I watched the beast take off on 30L and I didn't think it would make it. It just barely got off the ground started a slowwwwww climb just above HW67. This was before 9/11 when the observation parking lot was still open and busy during lunch hour- must have been pretty cool watching it up close from that lot. That airplane is so big that it looked like it was just taxiing down the runway when in fact it must have been doing at least 150 kts by the end of its roll. I'm sure this has been dicussed before, but are there any good parking lots left for watching the airplanes come in and out of major airports or have they all been shut down since 9/11?

Pretty good parking area to watch take-offs and landings at MSP. There is a parking area for cars to park right up close on the south side of the field, on Post Road, just east of Signature Aviation FBO. Good view and very close to the runway. Just a cyclone fence about 8 feet tall, which in no way impairs the view. I have gone over there at noon, and I see a lot of cars parked there with just a driver, eating his sandwich and drinking a Pepsi over the lunch hour. Always plenty of space, and never crowded.
When those 747's come in from the east, they are flying over the Minnesota River, and their is no obstuction at all to the view.

jarhead said:
Pretty good parking area to watch take-offs and landings at MSP.
Not in Houston. Must be 5-600 signs posted around the perimeter of Hobby. Good thing, too. We defnitely don't want any bad guys shooting at planes from the fenceline. It *must* be done from the neighborhoods and businesses 100' across the street! Only ones affected were people like you and me just sitting there eating lunch watching the planes... Very simple people, these bureaucrats. And some wonder why "W" didn't want to fill the TSA positions with more of the mind-void, fire-proof individuals.

Flightjock30 said:
Russian Antonov 225 ... Anyone else ever seen this "beast" in person?
I had the good pleasure of walking through the cargo area and receiving a tour of the flight deck when one was on static display at the Paris Air Show in 2001. The Russian test pilot was quite friendly and receptive to questions and compliments. The flight deck was like a trip back to the 50's. 6 crewstations (navigators, engineers, radio operators) were behind the pilot and copilot, all facing outboard, with a huge aisle down the center. Two headsets were hanging on the yokes -- a David Clark on the left, and a black conglomeration of wires and earcups on the right. When we asked about them, he described the second as the "Russian piece of s#!&." It was QUITE spacious, even compared to the C-5.

Primitive described much of the avionics as well. One of the Navigators had access to some sort of GPS information, but there was no way of electronically linking that to the autopilot. It required coordination with the pilots and manual inputs to the autopilot.

Behind the flight deck was a large area for crew rest and live-aboard facilities. Spacious rooms with bunks and tables looked quite comfortable, considering the origin and vintage.

Quite impressive.

I saw an An-225 at Aerospace America in Oklahoma City in 1990. Man, they look like they're going about 25 knots on final because they're so dang big!

I even got home video of it around here somewhere.

Latest resources

Back