World's Largest Airplane visits US!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Metrodriver,
Good point!! Hey imagine getting stuck behind the wake turbulence of an AN-225 when it is HEAVY, CLEAN, and SLOW in a Cessna 152!! AHAHAHA!

ratings:all said:
taxied next to a -124 at IAH once-it was like the box the bird i was on came in.
Originally posted by crosscut
Huh? You lost me.
Whatever ratings:all was flying would probably fit inside the An-124. Same shape but smaller. Hence, it looked like the box that his airplane came in.

Get it?

I thought it was pretty funny...but it loses its effect when you explain it. :)

It was the AN-225 in OKC. Twin tail and 6 engines! You don't forget an airplane like that.

AN-225

The aircraft at the Paris Air Show 2001 was definitely the AN-225 - - 6 engines, twin tail, and more wheels than you can count!

The cockpit design was based on the AN-124 (expidited crew training), so perhaps that explains why it's more primitive than its vintage. Far more primitive than the 707, by the way.

The single airplane operating then had been restored in an effort to find commercial transport uses -- ultra large cargo. The test pilot I spoke to indicated there were efforts underway, contingent on the commercial success of the first AN-225, to complete the second AN-225 and put it in service as well. I haven't heard of that happening yet.

space shuttle

I believe that the poster was right that said it was for their space shuttle and to carry rocket motors around.

I had the opportunity to fly a -124 a good many years ago in China. Empty and with little fuel that thing can get up and go. The panel if I remember was more like an Aztec than a modern jet aircraft.

The Russians were always noted for the fact that if a piece was very critical to flight, they had great technology. If it was just something that was on the aircraft but not critical, then anything would do. Like the heads. They mize well have gotton them off some old hotel that was taken down. No use wasting money on the comforts.

It did have some sophisticated navigation equipment and about a 100 tires. The aircraft would actually kneel. It was fun but I had too much vodka at the Peace Hotel the night before.

j41driver said:
Pic of the flight deck...
Nice curtains. Perfect for a rendezvous with one of those hot Russian flight attendants...

Latest resources

Back