Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Depends on the Individual

PCL Flt-ops said:

"Please explain to me how you can have any type of relationship with a family/wife/girlfriend if you are on the road for 2 - 3 weeks at a time. Yeah, you may have 2 weeks off. But having to do the 2 weeks on just isn't worth it. Can you say NOMAD?"

If flying 2-3 weeks ON isn't your thing, that's totally understandable, and you definitely should not be applying to World. For some people, this lifestyle works great for them, and they would prefer that type of flying over Southwest, AirTran, United, FedEx, etc. Since Flt-Ops and others currently have a flying job, their situation makes it easier for them to be more selective (hopefully nobody takes that as an insult).

I think for a single guy, it would be a great job.
For a married guy, I think you can make it work. I've heard of other jobs where people work 30 on/30 off, and they seem to like it. I think the important thing would be making sure your family knows how this new job would impact your life!

Personally, I think it would really put a strain on my family, but if it was the best option available, I think I'd have to take it.

It's a very personal decision, a decision which enables you to make pretty decent $$ flying a pretty cool aircraft into some pretty cool locations (definitely not boring).

PCL Flt-ops said:
redneck jihad-

I have tried long stretches on and I don't like it. Having to do 5 on is pretty tough. I prefer 3 on / 4 off if possible. I don't mind flying a few legs if I have to. I can only imagine being gone weeks at a time. Please explain to me how you can have any type of relationship with a family/wife/girlfriend if you are on the road for 2 - 3 weeks at a time. Yeah, you may have 2 weeks off. But having to do the 2 weeks on just isn't worth it. Can you say NOMAD?

Ya see, that's the beauty of it....You CAN have a relationship with your family, wife and your girlfriend.

Honey if your reading this it was just a joke.

Been there, done that... Used to work for World, flying MD-11s. Just had a couple of World guys hop on our crew bus in Frankfurt trying to get to the airport. They had been out for 28 days, and with luck would make it home by the 29th day. It sounds like some positive changes have been going on since I worked there. They had a management shake-up and some of the older, weirder pilots retired. If enough of the the younger Captains are able to change the standard World cockpit enviroment from hostile to relaxed, it might be a decent place to work. If it's the same sh!t that used to go there, don't bother applying.

Some People Have No Choice

Steeler Fan hit the nail on the head. It's not to everyone's taste and if you HAVE a job, you can certainly be very selective. Heck, there are more pilots without than with nowadays - take a good look around!

Sometimes folks have to make sacrifices and not just when you are starting out and paying your dues. In one of my previous jobs, I worked for a very well-known LCC carrier in Europe for 2.5 years and commuted between London and Las Vegas every 3-4 months. And I'm married. Now tell me 30 days on 21 off is tough & I'll maybe believe you! I almost made Capt with this airline but chose to RESIGN in order to return home and fly a different aircraft with a new start-up in my home town. That outfit lasted 3 years exactly, and I'm now going through the longest unemployment period in my life. To someone in my position, World would seem like manna from Heaven!!

Moral of the story, don't knock it til you try it and remember, there is ALWAYS someone worse off than yourself. Forget the heydays of UAL/AAL salaries in the stratosphere - those days are long gone and likely never return.

757driver

Is there anyway to get the inside scoop on pilot hiring? I live about 15 minutes from the headquarters, at least before I did a 2 year recall after 9/11. I would love to do international flying but you zing your resume off into hyperspace and no feedback. Any advice to a guy that would love to get hired by World.

r,
Jethro

world

I, to would jump at a chance to fly for world, being on the go and getting to see so much during the month that you are out.

as far as home life well lest just that wife would think this is cool to fly all over the world,,,o and another thing she would like ,,, i'm getting paid finaly to do this.

Best of luck to any one who lands this , even to a married guy this sounds like a hot time to be haddddddddddddddddddddd.

Fly safe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
:cool:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back