• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

World Airways Interview & Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When you consider the QOL being home for extended periods and not having to commute it is really a much better gig.

I did the barbie fun jet thing, commuting to the northeast; everytime I got home I was packing to leave the next day, it sucked. I much prefer the world beer tour, as opposed to flying to lagarbage, philly, detroit and all those other glamorous destinations.

I don't fly for World, I fly for another widebody non-sched, and my hats off to everyone there for having the cojones to stand up and put their job on the line. Maybe you should look at the new payrates at the majors, and then look at what these guys accomplished - as far as I'm concerned I'll buy any World guy a beer because they just set a standard that my company should meet.

Thanks

World hiring

Hey guys, the first officer link on the page is not there anymore. Any current world pilots know if the company is still hiring?

Pipejockey, be very careful of what corporate job you go to, because some can be just as bad if not worse than the lesser 121 non-skeds. I have worked for both and when you fly part 91, 135....it is not nearly as structured as 121 and subject to very loose interpretations! Lesser places can have you on a pager 24/7, no hard days off, office duty in addition to flying duty, etc etc.... Now if you are fortunate to get on with a Fortune 500 company which is extremely hard, then you may be happy...that is until a merger or your corporation is acquired....thereby rendering your flight department useless.

same crapshoot dude

Hah!

It's funny how people think that the end all be all job in corporate aviation is a fortune 500 company! I know a lot of friends that are in one now and I have been a part of one also and those jobs can be worse than any of them! The political arena is cut-throat. Just be sure you talk to someone that knows the Forutne 500 FD that you want to work for and ask questions!

That is absolutely correct! make sure you talk to someone who works in the F-500 FD that you want to work at. I have flown parts 91, 135, and 121, pax and heavy cargo, as far as non airline companies go, i have only seen the fortune 500 companies run with the utmost of professionalism and structure that you can have in a 121 company. Now I am sure there are single jet operators out there that beg to differ, but they are a rarer exception, even more rare than getting on with a company like this. So when you compare the typical charter jet operators who run you like dogs to a corporate flight department that has self imposed duty time rigs, standardized ops, and a QOL that comes with everyone being on a first name basis.....its not so funny anymore...
I know this is off topic to the World topic, but i just had to respond!

So, are you guys still hiring?
lol

My job isn't great, but I'm toughing it out until I go elsewhere. I'm writing this to say that all fortune 500 flight depts aren't all that wonderful. I'm not writing to to bitch about my current job. I can't wait to hear from World, and would gladly stay for the long haul.

Midsize fortune 500 flight dept:

Pros:
3 aircraft including 2 new glass cockpit jets

Full time mechanic on staff & maintenance facility

Cons:
No hard days off.

No dispatch.

We clean the office on days off.

Understaffed.......exactly one crew per aircraft which makes recurrent, vacation, and family emergencies a bitch.

Underpaid 30,000 per year below industry average.

Rediculous duty days.

Chief Pilot and I are the only ones covered under insurance as jet Capt.

Last 3 guys we have hired were low time. One was hired at 250 hrs, and thinks he is the authority on aviation...also the first to bitch about money. Another guy was hired at 800 hrs total who also bitches about his
pay.

No hiring at all since according to management we are fully staffed.

All of this because "we don't have a difficult job" according to the big boss.

Home based: I understand the concept and I think I know how it works but I would like a few more details... Where do people normaly start a trip will they fly you 14 hours to Europe to start a trip or wait untill the aircraft comes back?

Do you know what your doing for they 10-20 days your at work or is every flight a "surprise"?

How are the crews? How are the airplanes? Do they take care of aranging your travel to and from home or do you?

Thanks!

ERJFO said:
Home based: I understand the concept and I think I know how it works but I would like a few more details... Where do people normaly start a trip will they fly you 14 hours to Europe to start a trip or wait untill the aircraft comes back?

Do you know what your doing for they 10-20 days your at work or is every flight a "surprise"?

How are the crews? How are the airplanes? Do they take care of aranging your travel to and from home or do you?

Thanks!

Yes you can live most anywhere in the lower 48. You need an airport with 3 carriers. Then they buy your ticket to whereever a hotel on the other end to get 12+ hours crew rest before your trip. That is the condensed version.

As an open flyer you only know 2 to 3 dyas out. Some of the time they will have your entire trip built but more than likely you go out for a 4 day trip and it becomes a 16 day trip. You never leave the house lightly packed or you may be flippin drawers inside out to stretch laundry. With the new contract one of the big improvements was you now know your 12 days off in advance and unless you voluteer up to 6 of the 12 you will always have 12 off and you will know about them by the end of the previous month.

The airplanes are fine the Maint. is reasonably good, especially our mechs in europe. The airplanes are flying a lot of the day is the big problem. The crews are great overall and the lifestyle is great or you will hate it. We have had a few guys go back to thier legacy carrrier recently and I think some of it may have been the sched. It not for everyone.

If you don't mind being out of the house 2 weeks on 2 weeks off give or take and you like to try international adult beverages then this job may be for you. The trng is tough as there is no train to profeciancy so be prepared to study hard because they put 1 out of about 7 or 8 on the sidewalk. Things have gotten better with the interview and training so maybe its some better but still if coasting through training is your style I would not suggest World Airways.

Hope some of this helps...........Good Luck

ERJFO said:
Where do people normaly start a trip will they fly you 14 hours to Europe to start a trip or wait untill the aircraft comes back?
We start trips from home and can be sent anywhere. I've been sent to Hawaii, Alaska, Atlanta, etc, etc, but these days mostly to Europe. Yes the company will fly you 14 hours to Europe, but you will get legal crew rest before a trip. Besides, you can't start a trip without the requisite number of German beer. :beer:

ERJFO said:
Do they take care of aranging your travel to and from home or do you?
Yes, of course. For me, home basing is probably the biggest benefit for flying with World. Its great for pilots that want to live out in the "sticks" and we have a lot of those. If you live near a major airport the benefit may not be as appreciated.

How's the current pilot/management relationship? Is there still some friction left over from last year's strike?

Does anyone know if there are a lot of retirements coming up in the next 5-10 years?

Anything new happening on the Cargo side of the house?

Thanks in advance!

Motive Flow said:
How's the current pilot/management relationship?

I'll answer this on behalf of a good friend of mine - actually the best man at my wedding. It SUCKS!! My friend was a MD-11 f/o going for his probation ride and got pink slipped. So his story goes: He did great on the oral regarding the a/c, SOP, limitations etc. but was a little weak on the FMS which he rarely works with as he is usually a relief pilot for the long legs. When the sim check-ride came it was the same deal - no problem flying the a/c and the approaches but he had difficulty with setting up the FMS. Before you ask if he had worked with FMS's before I'll tell you his previous a/c were CRJ, D-328, both as Capt. He has NO problem with understanding the FMS - but in this case I guess there were some differences that the check-airman didn't like. After the check ride the check pilot informed him that he had failed and the training manager was on vacation - so he went back home for a week and studied. Upon the return of the Manager of training he flew back to ATL and had a meeting with the training dept and a CP. He did all the begging and groveling and asked for more training on the FMS but was denied. The paperwork was already on the desk and he was fired.

The union couldn’t help as he was on probation. And now here he is, married, new house, infant daughter - and unemployed with being fired on the books.

How do you think the relationship is with management and pilots??

Also - he passed his 6 mos check no problem.......

Some of the pilots he talked with think it had something to do with management letting the pilot force know who is in charge. I think I'd pass working for a company like this. Who would spend $50k to replace a great guy that could have been given an extra hour on the FMS that might have cost the Co. a few hundred dollars in sim and instructor?

I suggested writing a letter to the CEO and explaining his side of the story and he may have done this – but as of today he is unemployed.

If there are any World guys that might know anyone to contact this would be greatly appreciated. Please PM me and I can forward.

Thanks for reading…Baja.

Latest resources

Back