• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

World Airways Interview & Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MD11, I have found my passion unfortunately. I have tried to literally force myself into another profession but I can't seem to do it. I am trying my best to get out of the whole airline racket and go corporate where you may actually be treated like a valuable part of the corporation, as opposed to a minion that can be replaced at the drop of a hat like the airlines consider us.

And I will admit it is people like me who are part of the problem. Unhappy with the career but unwilling to leave it behind. If all the pilots out there who are unhappy with the way this career has turned the past 5 years, just walked away, there WOULD be a pilot shortage. That would be the best thing this industry would have to face!

You are also right about the "unhappy" coming home and affecting the loved ones. I seem to be the kind of person who doesn't realize what they have until it's gone. But I am trying to find my niche within aviation.

Snakum, It takes years, even decades to get to that 110,000 plus you have to be lucky enough to get with an airline that doesn't fail, or else you start all the way at the bottom again. Meaning another decade, at least, to get to where you were. That is if you beat the odds and can even get with another career airline, of which there are not too many. And if you take the average household income in places like NYC, NJ, CA, DC and most other places where you are likely to be based with an airline, you will see 110K will barely make it among people with 4 year degrees, not to mention all the other training we must complete.

I don't remember when my last republican rant was, but how did you know I am a republican? I am more of a social conservative, but as far as how they view labor? Well kind of like their Mexican landscapers.

PVB, that was BS laying into me about criticizing your contract. Don't presume to think I didn't respect what your pilot group did. I say your pilot group, because for all I know you might have voted yes to the companies last proposal before the strike. But I was elated you all walked off the job and said enough is enough! The only pilot group for the past 5 years that I know of who has stood for anything! Congratulations! Hopefully you can continue to negotiate raises that stay well ahead of inflation. 12% over 3 years I believe? Maybe you can set Atlas's rates in your sights 3 years from now.

And per diem is not income! Why people continue to use per diem to make their pay look larger is beyond me. 2 good meals and the per diem is gone for the day. And you are absolutely right, 19 days IS too much work. Considering that 19 days is all on the road, it's tough. It is the kind of schedule I have had up until recently. 1 week on 1 week off is more my style.

And like I have said all along, as far as airlines go these days, World isn't half bad, just not what I had dreamed of when I was that kid who was constantly looking skyward not too long ago. I wish I had the flight time, I would try to get on with World!:D

And I didn't mean to turn the thread into yet another commentary on the industry, but I wanted to respond to the last few posts.

Pipe jockey,

I sincerely hope you find your happiness. I know exactly what you are talking about having been furloughed twice before and started over again at the bottom. It is a crap shoot and its hard to raise a family living like you will be out of a job the next day. A 37 yr veteran of World once told me to live like you are furloughed tomorrow and while it was good advice just hard to do because kids will need thiings. Like a previous poster said you have to be realistic about wages and when there are non scheds paying half as much for a widw body Captain it is hard to get a raise out of the company. We have to compete with those companies and at times it is Worlds good name and long history that gets us the contract not the fact we were the cheapest bidder. At the end of the day aviation is a hell of an interesting way to make a living so keep your head down and you're powder dry......Good Luck

I just looked at the World web page and the first officer position is not there. Can I still e mail a resume? Are they still hiring?

The World crewmembers have put more importance on lifestyle over pay. At World you are not forced to move to a hub city. You can still enjoy the benefits of living in your own home town because of home basing. While I only earn 180k a year, in my small town that goes a long way. This airline is a nice little job for a person who is unfortunate not to live near a hub city where the 200k jobs are. On the otherside there are plenty of things to fix at World to make it a better airline to work for. Make no mistake we are an all long-haul airline. This type of job is not for everyone.

Bellerophon said:
The World crewmembers have put more importance on lifestyle over pay. At World you are not forced to move to a hub city. You can still enjoy the benefits of living in your own home town because of home basing. While I only earn 180k a year, in my small town that goes a long way. This airline is a nice little job for a person who is unfortunate not to live near a hub city where the 200k jobs are. On the otherside there are plenty of things to fix at World to make it a better airline to work for. Make no mistake we are an all long-haul airline. This type of job is not for everyone.

Well said. Here at my airline we feel the same way. Quality of life as in Home Basing is a lot higher on the prority list than a big pay raise. The pay is something we can keep working on the next time around. In this industry, good luck getting that BIG perfect contract. I like living anywhere I want and not depending on JSing to work. Plus, a great way to rack up frequent flyer miles and unlimited upgrades. I noticed that a couple of weeks ago as I was sitting in First Class and watching two guys that had been in the airport for a while trying to get a ride up to ANC to work.

If your not lucky enough not to get called on reserve and your wife is cool with it how does it affect your kids? Especially younger kids is it hard on them?

When I sold my wife on this cargo gig, she said, "when your home make sure YOUR HOME!". Off 13-17 days a month is ok. In the summer you can go on vacation, camping, etc... every month! Has got its ups and downs just like everything else. Tough when you have young kids. You just make up for it when your home. This job is definately not for everyone. Teaching my boys how to play golf. Killing two birds with one stone.

My wife has family living all around us (home basing in her town). She does not work. The kids get calls every few days from dad via Skype (video). When I have been home for too long, she is ready for me to go. If I have been out a couple of weeks, she is ready for me to come home (sly smile). However, I can not stress this enough, this job is not for everyone. If your not sure this type of flying is for you, no problem, don't even try it. There are too many other flying jobs out there. With very few exceptions, only the crewmembers who seek this type of long haul flying are the only ones who end up loving it at an airline like this.

MD11Drvr said:
Pipejockey,

I agree with most of what you have said. Paid pretty well is all in ones perspective. I started as a ramp rat then an A&P and lastly pilot. Of the 3 this pays pretty well. Is it what it should be, that is open for debate. I have flown with too many folks that do nothing but bitch about pay,hotels or take you pick. It accomplishes nothing but does make for a long bid line. I choose to make the most of what I have got and be as happy as I can. I drove a truck (18 wheel type) once between flying jobs because I could not make the living I needed flying. I would encourage anyone not happy with avaition to seek out a new career you may be lucky enough to find a new passion or you may be lucky enough to find a new perspective. When my resume was ready for the market in the 90's I could not find a decent paying job. All I could find were 12K PFT for a 12K job flying a B1900. This taught me that pilots have been thier own worst enemy. We all have to balance the fact that we can be replaced with someone who will pay for the chance to do our jobs for less money. The last decades we as pilots are loosing that balancing act. My hope is we will once again see a shortage of pilots in the USA and the balance will play to our favor. But until then I will be as happy as I can be with what I have because I know unhappy will come home with you and effect your family. I will also keep an eye on my 6 as the company may screw me or more likely another pilot who will pay to do my job. Pipejocky I sincerely say good luck finding your perspective and your passions.

Well said Md11,
There are so many out there that just want to complain about how bad they have it. It is not that I don't agree with their gripes, but like you I choose to make the best out of it. I also worked really crappy jobs for low pay just to make it to a better crappy job with better pay. I am making more now than I have ever made, saving money, and having a good time doing it. Unfortunately I will be job hunting due to a July 3 furlough. World is one of the places I was going to try. I have never heard anything bad about the folks at World. I too have heard it is a career stop. I am hoping that my next job will be my last. I certainly hope that aviation bounces back and the pay is commensurate with the skill level needed to obtain these coveted jobs. Until then I will still have a good time doing what I love to do.

Latest resources

Back