• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyingdutchman

Want to work and live in Europe?
----

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]Ryanair hires FAA/ US B737 Captains via Brooksfield[/font] [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Well it speaks for itself.......

Ryanair is getting desperate as it seems. How they arrange work permits for US pilots is a complete mystery to me?

From the job section of FI.

737 Captains to fly in Europe
Miami Sim assessments/interviews

Quote: We already have a number of pilots booked into the simulator in Miami to be assessed and interviewed to join us to work in bases in Europe for Europe's largest and most succesfull low cost carrier.We still do however require a few more Captains current within the last 5 years on the 737 EFIS or N/G. Those Captains with experience only on the EFIS models of the 737 will benefit from moving on to the NG at no cost to themselves. Other very experienced Captains with time on other heavy jet aircraft will be offered the opportunity to take a self financed type rating courrse to fly the NG. All contracts offered are for a 5 year duration, and this opportunity offers the rare chance for Captains on this side of the Atlantic to fly and live in Europe. FAA licences are acceptable for initial validation and all pilots will need to work toward gaining their JAR licence which can be succesfully achieved within 6-9 months. Work permits can be granted and advise given on achieving this. We are looking for a large number of Captains at this stage - please note those who have already replied will be on the schedule and will be informed within the next 48 hours.
[/font]

Not to mention scheduling the JAR license regimen. What a B_____.

Jup, I agree. But atleast it's a better deal then what it used to be

Doesn't the FAA just convert JAA licences to US ones? Why don't they do the same for ours?

You can't just convert a FAA license to JAA...

They want to make sure you know about wooden props and carburators and how a cyclone in the Bay of Bengal can ultimately effect the weather over Birmingham. ;)

TC

ATRDRIVER,

The FAA will give a Private on the basis of JAA but thats all I believe. Based on experience they may give some concessions but I think its pretty much the same both ways.

For example if you have more than (I think) 1500 hours PIC in an aircraft over 30 Tonnes (66,000 lbs) you only have to do 2 exams in the UK plus a flight test or sim check. That is instead of the at least one year and 14 exams, IR, MCC etc that everyone else has to do to get the ATPL in the UK.

I would imagine that is what Ryanair plans to do with guys who go over to Europe, hence the requirement for 737 or other Heavy Jet time.

I would suggest that anyone planning to go for this looks at the PPRUNE.ORG website to see if the flying at Ryanair is what they want to do. In general the flying is different in Europe due to different rest rules etc. Most of the guys I know over there live in base since they work mostly day lines. Ryanairs schedule is 5on 3 off. That is 5 earlies followed by 3 days off then 5 lates followed by 3days off.

Seniority doesn't mean as much over there and most guys do some reserve (or standby's) each month. Also upgrades aren't by seniority. The companies choose who to upgrade so you can imagine the problems that causes (and that is even after all FO's are typed). In addition all captains receive the same pay regardless of years of service.

Try ppjn.com for all of the payscales in Europe.

Latest resources

Back