• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Woman Dies on AA. Ouch!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Say, do you think the airline might have it's own side to the story, or are we going to jump on the "grieving relative must be telling the truth" bandwagon?

Two bottles used, both worked, AED didn't function because there wasn't enough of a heartbeat present. At least one Doctor working on her, Medlink was involved.

Yes airlining does suck, but only when you're a morbidly obese human who has been ignoring symptoms for God knows how long, and has heart disease, type two diabetes and probably quite a few other chronic conditions.

Some people shouldn't be flying. American won't be paying a penny on this one.

Isn't it possible that TWO O2 bottles didn't work as reported, but the REST were?

Sounds like a typical half-truth provided by the media.

My one and only comment on this:

When the lawyers come a knockin... what is the most conservative course of action? Divert to MIA or continue to JFK?

The best protection for the company and the passenger is to treat the situation like a medical emergency until touchdown. I'm sure that the Pilots were following the advice of medlink and dispatch. I just think that the advice they got was not the "most conservative" approach.

If this scenario is even half as bad as reported, the family of that woman will be very well compensated indeed.

Yeah, I'm sure a few million bucks will make up for contributing to her death.

There is zero excuse for having even one empty bottle. disgusting.

Sucks for AA pilots, this is a huge black eye for the company that none of them could do anything about...

Last edited:
J32

Really?

Are you sure you wouldn't be sued for abandoning the pax and traveling companion somewhere short of the destination when there was no reason to stop?

Please remember the person that is complaining here is NOT the dead person, but the traveling companion. abandon that person (who may or may not even be a US citizen) in some city short of where he paid to travel to and you have a very real different lawsuit on your hand.

The Doctor declared the patient dead. That is a NIGHTMARE. you never want a pax dead on the aircraft. You want em "very very sick" and have em declared on the jetbridge....

Then a diversion is warranted. But once the pax is declared, its really pretty strait forward (believe it or not) and diversion is the wrong answer... ESPECIALLY ON AN INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT!

Cheers
Wino

But once the pax is declared, its really pretty strait forward (believe it or not) and diversion is the wrong answer...

You can't be serious. That is completely unacceptable. A dead person in the aisle? Is that how you'd want one of your family members treated, with no diversion?

If I was a pax, I'd sue for emotional distress.

Oh yeah?

Better take the time to read the "General Declaration" that you as captain have to sign and hand in to custom's and immigration. This was NOT a domestic flight.

How will being trapped on an aircraft in quarantine improve this?

Furthermore, again, abandoning the person somewhere isn't going to solve the problem either, and again, you will be sued. So much better to follow the rules and guidance you are given.

Cheers
Wino

PS, Way better than a screaming kid :)

Oh yeah?

Better take the time to read the "General Declaration" that you as captain have to sign and hand in to custom's and immigration. This was NOT a domestic flight.

How will being trapped on an aircraft in quarantine improve this?

Furthermore, again, abandoning the person somewhere isn't going to solve the problem either, and again, you will be sued. So much better to follow the rules and guidance you are given.

Cheers
Wino

They will be "trapped in quarantine" wherever they land. How about a little dignity for the deceased?

Incidentally, who do you work for?

If you care to admit, I will be telling everyone I know who asks me about this story that Airline (Wino) would do the same thing, and I'd never fly on them.

Last edited:
Who do I work for?

I have 7 Uniforms in my closet, Licenses from the USA and UK and have been a captain overseas and here since 1997.

And I got news for you. The answer was the same in Europe. Once the person dies, you press on. If you have been to any sort of airline ground school, I am sure that you were told that NOBODY dies on the airplane, they get very very sick, but they die on the jetbridge.

There are VERY real reasons for this. Its not a joke.

Cheers
Wino

Latest resources

Back