Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Amish RakeFight said:
Full callsign and altitude.

actually, you only have to check in with your altitude once per artcc. once they verify it on the initial check in, they don't need it anyomore.

I always check in with "Novemeber 123 Alpha Lima, the altitude IS ten point zero, heading IS TREE FI-AVE ZERO, 20 nautical miles on the TWO SAY-VIN WON radial of the XYZ VORTAC, checking in with you with a request, over!"

Lengthy pause...then ATC replies, "November 123 Alpha Lima, radar contact, say request."

"Yea, Center, this is November 123 Alpha Lima, would it make you feel uncomfortable if we had a little chat about Jesus?"

The most unnecessary word used by pilots on the radio (including yours truly at times):

Okay at the beginning of each reply to an ATC instruction (As in "Okaaay; Platipus 1234A is descending to flight level two eight zero.")

Listen to transmissions if you don't believe me; almost everyone does it.

WabiSabi said:
actually, you only have to check in with your altitude once per artcc. once they verify it on the initial check in, they don't need it anyomore.

....so then one should just state their call sign?
This just sounds more like a request, especially if I don't say "N12345 with you."

12345: "Boston center N12345"

BOS: "you have a request 345"?

12345: "Negative, I was told on FI it's not necessary to reveal my altitude"

BOS: "Say altitude indicated"

Anyway......I rarely go from center to center at my speeds...just approach to approach and always state callsign and altitude. Never seemed wrong and confirms my altitude with the new controllers screen.

"Decimal" is used because the rest of the world uses it as an ICAO SARP, plus it is required in the AIPs (FARs) in most countries.

I know I am going to hear from FN FAL "who gives a F about ICAO," but if you fly outside the Americas you will be chastised on the radio for not saying "decimal" and you will then look very unprofessional.

This is why you hear "decimal" in the U.S. because it is the standard phraseology just about everywhere else.

Ducking, incoming........:uzi:

-- thread hijack in progress --
I'm not bashing the thread starter or anyone else, this is just an observation.

This topic recurs almost as often as the following:
1. I've got 250 hours and want to skip instructing, where can I go?
2. Any info on Gulfstream Academy?
3. You cargo guys suck.
4. You regional guys suck.
5. Unions suck.
6. Non-union pilots suck.
7. My contract sucks.

and of course
8. Stop saying "checking in, with you, roger that, tally-ho, no joy, etc etc."

Maybe we should start a whole section just for frequently posted topics. 'Cause sometimes FI starts to remind me of Flight Training magazine: Come springtime, I guarantee we'll have articles on crosswind landings. Summer, time to talk about hot, high, and humid.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddd indy center uuuuhhhhh its Airliner 1234 we're with you at 24.5 deviating for weather on a heading of 225 and we're descending to 180 and we'll go direct destination when we get clear of this stuff up ahead, good afternoon.

Airliner 1234, indy center roger

I think it comes directly from the AIM. haha.

It is much better than the alternative:

Indy Center, Airliner 1234 FL245 descending FL180

Airliner 1234, indy center roger

We all got that radio telephone operator's permit cuz we like to talk on the radio.

I finally learned where I picked up "with you" from ... MS Flight Sim 2004. It's what other a/c checking in with center say, or what your co-pilot says when calling ATC for you.

I'll add this to the list of things that MS FS has taught me, including ...
1) Who needs rudder?
2) Successfully landing a 747 1/2 the time is pretty dam good!
3) Traffic within 10 miles should have a red caption listing their tail number, altitude and distance floating somewhere beside them.
4) If you crash, your a/c simply freezes where you hit the ground
5) There are essentially four different buildings in the world
6) ATC regularly assigns two aircraft to land on the same runway #1 and #2 when they happen to be #2 and #1 respectively in distance to the runway
7) 172's have incredible climb performance!

Here's another. When at the flight levels and center points out traffic, he doesn't really care if you have it in sight or not so don't call back 90 seconds later saying you have the traffic in sight. It's just a courtesy call on their part so you won't be alarmed at the sight of oncoming traffic. When jets first came out, pilots were make evasive moves thinking they were head on. They were unacustomed to the closure rate and perspective, thus center gives adviseries time permitting. No need to clog the frequency with a call back when he's in sight which is why experienced pilots simply reply with a "thank you" or acknowlegement on the initial information.

Latest resources

Back