• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Winged current/former Navy bubbas

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's a great question, I am former USMC now flying ANG and would love to wear the gold again if it's possible. Also have several USMC/USN dudes in our unit....probably all feel the same! Guess it's time to hit the reg's and find out......unless someone has an instant answer!

I would love to say exactly which reg it was, but I heard it second hand from another Marine in my unit who had looked it up. He only wears it on his jackets, but I opted for the flight suit patch. No problems at all, as the Air Force Wings go above the Navy Wings. I figure it is no different than someone with multiple designations. I do know in talking with the awards and decs guys that all service ribbons can be worn when you transfer over, so I do not think it is any different with wings.

If you find out otherwise, don't tell me. Ignorance is bliss.

Phrogboy

Decorations

You may find it in DoD Publication 1348.33 Awards and Decorations.

I believe I heard years ago that because it is not an "award" that it is up to the descretion of the comanding officer.

guppygoshawk said:
It's not his, though!

Ya but thats what mine look like, as they transit the lens from one extreme to the other. Ugh. How's it go, always lead a low ball, and center that high ball in close? Could be my problem.

GCSASS,

I wear both sets of wings as a former navy guy now in the guard. Like previously posted I wear the AF wings over the navy ones. However because I was an NFO the AF considered it a different warfare specialty and allowed me to wear both sets of designators. I can't say with the utmost confidence that pilot to pilot is authorized. Although I have seen many a former Naval Aviator wearing the wings of gold on their AF bus driver uniform. But then again what do I know I wore trap patches as a FO.:D

Last edited:
NavyGuy said:
But then again what do I know I wore trap patches as a FO.:D

Yeah, but you were in one HELL of an A/C!! You were a vital part of the crew for those traps. I know I'd want all the help I could get in a non-HUD A/C. Its really just the E-2 tubers that make me scratch my head.

I've always thought that A-6's (Though I see you were Prowlers) would have been great to fly, but honestly probably a LOT more work than the fly-by-wire jazz I'm used to. The computer won't let me do anything stupid no matter how hard I try. And I try hard.

If A-6's still exsisted.. I'd be all over that.. my roommate was a Tomcat RIO and sports his Centurion trap patch, guppy you want me to throw some crap his way? :) We already give him crap about going bald.

SIG600 said:
If A-6's still exsisted.. I'd be all over that.. my roommate was a Tomcat RIO and sports his Centurion trap patch, guppy you want me to throw some crap his way?

My F-4 RIO wore his patches too. Anybody who can ride through 100 traps with a Marine killing snakes in the front seat with the stick, behind a small-deck CV, has earned their patch.

Even if you subtract the times his phantom power call(s) put us in the bolter pattern...he still earned it.

Latest resources

Back