• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Window of Opportunity for FDX pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ole PilotYIP, who supposedly has busted his butt in aviation and NEVER made over 100K in a year, is going to be so disappointed when our second year S/O's make that amount and our second year F/O's make well over that amount with the new contract. I'm sure you guys will be able to add a little extra on top of that! Good luck to your pilot group and keep unified.

Nope yip is very happy where he is, true never made over $100K/yr in my life, nope do not want to work at FedEx. Love flying B-17’s on the weekends and could not do that from Memphis. It was just the "Show up on the 26th and send a message to the PUBLIC as well as the company" posting that sparked my interest. The FedEx and UPS pilots are at the top of the pilot pyramid. Good for them, they are truly lucky and the best to them. But they are also so far out of touch with the real public, with outsourcing, contract labor, pay cuts, benefits give backs, etc, how is the public going to have any interest in a guy who makes fives times what he makes wanting more? Nothing personal, no intent to flame, just an observation.

pilotyip said:
Nope yip is very happy where he is, true never made over $100K/yr in my life, nope do not want to work at FedEx. Love flying B-17’s on the weekends and could not do that from Memphis. It was just the "Show up on the 26th and send a message to the PUBLIC as well as the company" posting that sparked my interest. The FedEx and UPS pilots are at the top of the pilot pyramid. Good for them, they are truly lucky and the best to them. But they are also so far out of touch with the real public, with outsourcing, contract labor, pay cuts, benefits give backs, etc, how is the public going to have any interest in a guy who makes fives times what he makes wanting more? Nothing personal, no intent to flame, just an observation.

Do you have any idea how much money FedEx pulled in during 2004 and what they are going to do in 2005? It blows away all of the passenger carrying airlines. Comparing FedEx pilots to other pilots in the industry is like comparing apples and oranges. FedEx is making money hand over fist right now and the pilots just want their well deserved piece of the pie. God forbid a pilot group stands up and tries to obtain what they rightfully deserve.

After reading your post I would respectfully submit that when it comes to the FedEx pilots it is you who is out of touch with reality.

Just an observation

dangerkitty, good for you guys, go for it, you feel you deserve it then maybe you deserve it. It just you are out of touch with the rest of the America. I do not think you will get much sympathy from the public, that was the intend of my posts. I was not comparing you to the passenger business, I said you were the tops in the industry. In addition, as I said before nothing personal, I have friends that fly at FedEx and wish them well, just an observation.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
But they are also so far out of touch with the real public, with outsourcing, contract labor, pay cuts, benefits give backs, etc, how is the public going to have any interest in a guy who makes fives times what he makes wanting more? Nothing personal, no intent to flame, just an observation.

And just like any generalization, you are wrong. After being furloughed, jobless for 6 months and working at a lousy job for another 12 months before getting picked up by FedEx how exactly am I out of touch with the "real public"? Does everyone have to feel your pain before they "qualify"?

The public's perception is nothing new - wasn't it back in the 70s when some wag observed that ALPA was the only union who's members drove to the picket line in Cadillacs? It's a constant battle: we must remind the "public" (which includes uninformed pilots) what we are worth. Management tries to minimize what we are worth; we try to maximize it.

pilotyip said:
dangerkitty, good for you guys, go for it, you feel you deserve it then maybe you deserve it. It just you are out of touch with the rest of the America. I do not think you will get much sympathy from the public, that was the intend of my posts. I was not comparing you to the passenger business, I said you were the tops in the industry. In addition, as I said before nothing personal, I have friends that fly at FedEx and wish them well, just an observation.

Nothing personal taken. I dont fly for FedEx.

...um...ah...bros...

Rubbing someone's nose is what we currently (or hope) to make is not good business for us, for ALPA, or the pilot profession.

Airline pilots face a tremendous amount of responsibility, face a very tough and dynamic work environment, and we have some unique issues to our profession. We also are a physical away from losing our ability to work (been there, done that this summer...) This career is unique in a lot of ways, so trying to explain it to someone outside the industry is often difficult. Bottom line is we should be compensated based on that responsiblity and on the success of our company.

However--nothing happens in a vacuum. Our attempts to improve our contracts at UPS and FDX will help others in the industry when they have their turn at negotiations. Hopefully as the industry goes through its ups and downs we'll see a major return to profitablity for some of these other carriers. However, holding up your W-2 and gloating (especially at the expense of guys now at majors or guys who for whatever reason never got the that chance) isn't very good karma. I know we may never win the "hearts and minds" of some of the public outside our industry, but I think antagonizing our fellow pilots (union or not) isn't very smart.

So...if you aren't at UPS or FDX yet...consider us working to make your eventual career more lucrative. Somewhere else? Our raising the bar puts pressure on your company to raise wages there too. Our success should also be your success, because we are in this industry together.

For example: I've seen several folks cancel/quit jetBlue classes to go to other companies. While they can still fill their classes with folks dying to get there, they now have folks jumping ship or passing up class to go somewhere percieved to be more lucrative. As this economy rebounds and grows I am confident we'll see wage pressure on many of the carriers. Rasing the bar at one company can (slowly) have a ripple effect. By the same token, the falling wages at other carriers have created a tougher negotiating position for anyone in the business right now. So...while you may hate those *&%2 at (insert your least favorite airline here), gloating at the tough times their crew force is having is ultimately short sighted and counter productive.

Standard disclaimer...just a fighter pilot and I may be wrong....

Last edited:
FreightNazi said:
our second year S/O's make that amount and our second year F/O's make well over that amount with the new contract.

How rude. And unprofessional. And inappropriate.

Ugh. Nuff said.

Latest resources

Back